Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Konqueror cache bug! I can't surf using cache, can you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Konqueror cache bug! I can't surf using cache, can you?

Can you surf the web with Konqueror? Do you have cache enabled?

I am using Kubuntu 8.04 HH with KDE 3 (AMD 64 version).
    I am experiencing a slowdown/partial system freeze when I try to use konqueror with cache enabled to surf the net.

The symptoms of the slowdown/partial system freeze I experinece when trying to use Konqueror are:
    o Konqueror window just hangs up nonresponsive
    o Other programs may be impossible to start
    o Some already started programs for example konversation and konsole continue to run
    o (but may later slow down or freeze)
    o (using konsole to start ls or top or other program may fail)
    o Sudo reboot is unresponsive.Necessary to reboot the hard way using the power button on computer.
    o Switching off cache in konqueror settings fixes the problem (workaround).

I wanted to know if other users experienced similar problems and/or have found better workarounds. I have done some googleing and browsing in launchpad and found similar reports also on ubuntuforums. Most of these postings conclude with the "turn off cache" workaround, but AFAIK cache is an important performance improver when working with internet browser, so I would like to have this enabled, not disabled.

The most interesting reports I have read indicate that knetworkmanager may have something to do with it but I just tried running konqueror with cache enabled and
    1) knetworkmanager turned off --> same slowdown/partial systems freeze
    2) knetworkmanager deinstalled -> network does not work

For the record, various users have been reporting this problem as far back as 6.06 days and it surprises me that there is no fix yet, which indicates that not everyone has this problem - maybe it affects only certain hardware combinations.

Anyway, what I wanted most now was just to find out if there are many of us experiencing these problems. Please post your experience here!

Links to
    bug #131767 in launchpad
    My old thread in the Gutsy forum, how I discovered this problem (PS: long walk in the desert, included for historical accuracy).

Re: Konqueror cache bug! I can't surf using cache, can you?

out of curiosity, could you please post the result of:
    Code:
    df -h
    both before and...during the problem.

EDIT:
    btw...
    i use konqueror on kubuntu since their first releases.
    never seen anything similar to what you're reporting.
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: Konqueror cache bug! I can't surf using cache, can you?

I'm not certain, but I may be experiencing something similar. I can surf, but not very well. On random pages, Konq will begin to load them as usual, but will freeze at a random percent. Once it stops loading I can leave it for hours and it will stay at whatever point it stopped, but the spinning gear at the top right of the window will still spin as if it's loading.

This only started happening about a week ago, but I'd disabled updates and just did a big one last week, so the problem may lie there. It used to work just fine (after I disabled ipv6).

I'll try disabling cache and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
      X