Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting PATH=$PATH....need help understanding.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Setting PATH=$PATH....need help understanding.

Originally posted by kubicle
    Ah yes, (k)ubuntu changed from using ~/.bash_profile to ~/.profile in hardy (or possibly gutsy, can't remember for sure), probably aiming for a bit more universality in shell setups.
    Thanks for the additional information. It's interesting that (K)ubuntu has moved towards more "universality" when the rest of the world seems to be moving towards bash.

Originally posted by kubicle
    The Java version offered in the repos depends on which version of kubuntu you're running. The Java version in Hardy is 6.06, which I believe to be the latest (though not necessarily the greatest ) released version
    I didn't realize they had JRE ready in the repos. Coming from the Red Hat camp, I naturally unpacked "jdk-1.6.0.bin" and copied it under /opt. How so 1990s!
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

I beg to differ (still). There is no .bash file in my ~ directory, hidden or otherwise. The only .bash* files within my ~ directory are, again:

.bash_history, .bash_logout, and .bashrc (and in my case, .bash_aliases which I created).

So, if it's 'supposed' to exists, then why don't I have one? And I just checked my Gutsy ~ directory, and no .bash file there either!
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        I beg to differ (still). There is no .bash file in my ~ directory, hidden or otherwise.
        Nor should there be, however there should be a ~/.profile file. (If there's not, check /etc/skel for the .profile file)

Originally posted by daihard
        Coming from the Red Hat camp, I naturally unpacked "jdk-1.6.0.bin" and copied it under /opt. How so 1990s!

Comment

Geez, I'm gett'n old! :P

Okay, re-read for the umpteenth time, and I mis-read ~/.profile for ~/.bash

Yes, I have a .profile file in my ~ directory. Thank you kubicle! I'm doing my penance.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X