This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox and Java - How To Get Java Plugin Installed

I have recently downloaded and installed the latest versions of JRE (Jave Runtime Environment) per the instructions on Sun's website. For the life of me, I can not get Java to run correctly on Firefox. For example, Click on this site which from the National Weather Service.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=gwx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loo p=no

Then click on "Loop" to the left and the radar should start it's motion. This runs in a Java environment and I can't view it. I get prompted to install Java. I copied and pasted the JRE ".so" file into the plugins directory of Mozilla. See below:

mrmsu@closet:~/.mozilla/plugins$ ls
    flashplayer.xpt libflashplayer.so libjavaplugin_oji.so
    So, what do I do to get Java to work in Firefox 3.0 beta 5?

Thanks,
    Mike
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Re: Firefox and Java - How To Get Java Plugin Installed

Mike
    I am using Kubuntu 8.04 with Kde3.5.9 and firefox 3.0b5

After installing sun-java6-bin with apt i had the same problem.

After investigating /usr/lib mozilla and /usr/lib/firefox I found a plugins folder in /usr/lib/firefox-addons

In a terminal
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins

now working

Regards

Sharke

System Kubuntu Hardy Kde 3.5<br />Intel core2 Duo (conroe)<br />Asrock MB Conroe945G-DVI<br />Mem 2.0Gig<br />Graphics Intel Media Excellerator 950<br />Audio Realtdk Alc888 7.1 High Definition

Comment

Alternatively, you can set your own plugin path by specifying the MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable and pointing it to where your plugins are currently located.
      Code:
      export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/.mozilla/plugins
      This works for Firefox 1 and 2. Not sure about 3, but I don't see any reason why not. Just my 2 cents.
      Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
      Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Still not working. I have placed the java plugin in the following directories but still I can not get Java to work with Firefox:

/usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

/usr/lib/firefox-3.0b5/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I'm going nuts!
        sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Type "aboutlugins" in the URL bar to see which plugins are actually recognized by Firefox.

Have you tried the MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable that I suggested above?
          Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
          Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Working...
          X