Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardy Heron problems (Repost. Hoping for reply)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardy Heron problems (Repost. Hoping for reply)

Noobie here. I did an upgrade to Hardy and now have serious issues that I don't know how to fix. No clue even where to start. I am running compiz fusion and have proper nVidia drivers (as far as I know).

problems:
    1) No audio. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Video is unaffected.
    2) Taskbar has disappeared. Can't access the "K".

How can I do a clean install if I can't even burn the image unto cd? I don't know how to access any programs from run command. Remember that I no longer have access to the menu.

Please advise.

Re: Hardy Heron problems (Repost. Hoping for reply)

Both seem strange. It's possible your graphics issues are related to not having upgraded the nvidia drivers properly.

If you want to do a clean install, the following at the command line should work:

Code:
    wget [url]http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/kubuntu/8.04/kubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso[/url]
    wget [url]http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/kubuntu/8.04/MD5SUMS[/url]
    md5sum kubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso
    check the calculated md5sum matches the one in the md5sums file (if not, delete and redownload)
    Code:
    cdrecord dev=/dev/cdrom driveropts=burnfree -v -data kubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso
    If you have more than one drive, you'll need to find which is which. Simple way is:

Code:
    eject /dev/cdrom
    eject /dev/cdrom1
    and suchlike. See which ones pop out the tray.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Thank you very much cantab. I will try this when I've figured out how to back up my files. I'm going to learn this Linux stuff if it kills me....

Comment

If you can still get the run command window by pressing alt+f2, then you should be able to fix this...

1) you can try temporarily turning off compiz to see if it brings back the menu bar
        press alt+f2, type in konosole to get a terminal window, and in it type
        Code:
        kwin --replace &
        That will hopefully replace compiz with the regular kwin window manager, to go back to compiz you would type something like
        Code:
        compiz --replace &
        (I think
        2) you can try re-running the kde taskbar, if I'm not mistaken it should be called kicker http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kicker_(KDE) , so try running it
        Code:
        kicker &
        and at least in the konsole you will see an output, and if it crashes maybe there will be a hint in it where the error came from

Regarding audio... when you get the menu bar back, report back and we'll see about that

Comment

Working...
        X