Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel 950 GMA...is performance on this card noticable slower on just linux?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel 950 GMA...is performance on this card noticable slower on just linux?

I have tried using this card on Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and openSUSE and the performace on it was quite slow. Also on Wine, performance on most games is also really slow compared to what I played at on windows. I know that it is emulation and that it should run a bit slower but having FPS from 20s (Windows) down to 9 (linux) is just a bit of a performance drop. On my other computer with a Radeon x200, i didn't notice much of a performance drop comparing windows to wine (20FPS windows, 15 FPS wine). Any help?

Re: Intel 950 GMA...is performance on this card noticable slower on just linux?

Intel video drivers should be open source, and thus automatically enabled for your install... but something may have gone wrong with the detection routines... You could check /etc/X11/xorg.conf and if for instance you have something like this (the crucial line is Driver "vesa"), that would explain the slow performance:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier   "Failsafe Device"
        Driver     "vesa"
        BusID      "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection
    If it says something different (dunno what the driver name is for Intel G950) which looks reasonable, then I guess that is all the performance you can get from the card until (and if) a driver update brings performance improvements.

Comment

Re: Intel 950 GMA...is performance on this card noticable slower on just linux?

It just says "intel" which i guess is an updated version of the "i810" driver.

Comment

Working...
      X