X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04: KNetworkManager problem

Hello,

KNetworkManager returs error at konsole: KUniqueApplication: Can't determine DISPLAY. Aborting.

I'm using 800x460 resolution and my dislpay supports only that. How can I make KNetworkManager to work or how can I manage my deafult network connection?

Thanks.

Re: Kubuntu 8.04: KNetworkManager problem

Hmm, you can always try the manual way... in the konsole.
    This should get dhcp to set up connected wired interfaces:
    Code:
    sudo dhclient
    You can manually enable an interface (for instance, the network cable is connected, but the by the lights by the socket are off) with
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 up
    eth0 is your first ethernet card, eth1 the second, etc.
    You can manually set an ip address for the network interface card with
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0
    (the first number is the ip adress, the second one is, you guessed it, netmask).
    this will not get you to the internet yet, however. If you have a home router/dsl connection, the dhcp should work for you, otherwise you should probbably know what to set for the address and netmask.
    So, now you can test to see if you can reach your router, which is usually on the 192.168.1.1 addres, by typing
    Code:
    ping 192.168.1.1
    It should return something like
    Code:
    PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.890 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.612 ms
    If it returns timeuts, then you are not in the same address space as the router, and the rest of the stuff will not help you. :| Anyway, stop the ping output with Ctrl+c
    To continue the manual setup, you need a gateway, so for our home router example type
    Code:
    sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.1
    Now you can try ping-ing an IP address on the internet (not a "normal" internet server name yet, we need DNS for that), if you know of one, and if it returns timeouts you probbably didn't guess the router IP correctly or the netmask is wrong or you gave yourself a wrong ip address.
    Lastly, you should set up dns, which for home dsl routers usually do for you as well, so you need to edit a text file as root - type:
    Code:
    sudo kwrite
    and open the file /etc/resolv.conf
    make sure there is only this in it:
    Code:
    nameserver 192.168.1.1
    Now, try surfing, if it works, you can make the setting permanent:
    Code:
    sudo kwrite
    open the file /etc/network/interfaces and for this example it should contain the following:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.100
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    I know this doesn't help getting the KNetworkManager running, but at least you may be able to look for the solution for that problem on the same machine

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 8.04: KNetworkManager problem

Originally posted by flying_icarus
      To continue the manual setup, you need a gateway, so for our home router example type
      Code:
      sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.1
      I am having the same problem. I tried following your advice, but when I try to add the default gateway, I get the following message:
      SIOCADDRT: No such process

Now what?

Comment

Working...
      X