X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 Login hangs

hi,

i'm using kubuntu (hardy) with kde4 without any problems. but since a few days i have big problems after logging in. KDE4 hangs very long and after some time i can start applications but they have no captionbar and so they are not moveable. and no knetworkmanager, no klipper, only one virtual desktop, ...

what helps: CRTL-ALT-BACKSPACE so i have the kdm-login again. now ALT-F1 and login in the console. here i delete the directory ".kde4/share/config" and now the login works as expected: fast, two virtual desktops, knetworkmanager, klipper. but now my settings are gone (clockformat for example).

this is a workaround for one session. after logging out (or reboot) the same problem occurs again.

any ideas what the problem is? i did not install any new software, i only did a "apt-get update/upgrade" when kubuntu signaled that there are updates.

thanks
    </usc>

Re: KDE4 Login hangs

same here. Happened before the upgrade to kde 4.0.4 IIRC

Comment

Looks you you only need to delete the file ~/.kde4/share/config/ksmserverrc to get everything working. Although not a good solution it may at least keep your config changes.

Comment

yes, you're right. a little trial and error directed me to the same file.

is it also ok, to remove the "saved session" in the file.

any suggestions where the problem is?

ok, i can automate the removal of this file, but this is awful

Comment

Thanks for the info, Ive been deleting the .kde4 directory in total to fix my problems It seems to die if I add a desktop image or modify the clock to show the date

Cary
          The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

I entered a bug report for this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ce/+bug/228758

Comment

Have confirmed & added to bug report.

Cary
              The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

I found that if you change your session to start with an empty session, this doesn't happen. Seems like a good workaround.

Paul

Comment

Paul, Not wanting to sound ignorant but how do you do that

Cary

Comment

System settings - Advanced - Session manager.

Originally posted by caryb
                    Paul, Not wanting to sound ignorant but how do you do that
                    Cary
                    Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Comment

Has anyone had this bug with an i386 install? Or is it only affecting amd64 installations? The bug report seems to suggest that it is only affecting amd64.

Paul

Comment

Just to test, I installed the 32 bit version of Kubuntu 8.04 KDE4 and upgraded to KDE 4.0.4. This bug isn't present there. I guess it is only a 64 bit issue.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                        X