This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frequent brief freezes in KDE 3

I upgraded to Hardy almost with out incident when it was released - just the proprietary driver for my wretched wireless card to fix after the upgrade.

For the most part, things are working perfectly, but I have one problem, and that is that every so often (a few times a day), KDE will start freezing for seconds (sometimes up to a minute at a time) for no apparent reason.

This may well be a systemwide thing, rather than KDE-specific, as it also affects Firefox (3b5), but is most noticeable in KDE apps. A click , scroll or keypress will simply not work for a good few seconds, and dragging the window in this time wipes the pane, before everything goes back to normal with whatever keypresses or scrolling instantly catching up. You can imagine how annoying this is when it happens (particularly as when it starts, it tends to happen every couple of minutes for a while, then back to perfect functioning again).

Ksysguard hasn't been much help, as it freezes along with everything else during these bits, but there doesn't seem to be any particular app that's causing the problem. I do get a "please wait" throbber on the mouse pointer some of the time when this is happening, which is why I suspect KDE rather than something hardware or closer to the kernel being the issue.

Any suggestions as to how I could diagnose this greatly appreciated.

Re: Frequent brief freezes in KDE 3

I've experienced the same thing. On my system I managed to narrow down the problem to Firefox 3 beta 5, because at one point I became really frustrated and decided to use Opera 9.5 for a while. During that time everything seemed to work fine. Then I ran Firefox in safe mode ("firefox -safe-mode") and it worked fine, so I figured that maybe some extensions are causing this. Thus I uninstalled Greasemonkey and a few other extensions. Also, I deleted all cookies, cache, and reset all my Firefox speed tweaks back to default.

Hope this helps.
    In a world without windows and fences who needs Gates?

Comment

Thanks, I've been paying more careful attention today and I think you're right - it does seem to be Firefox. There must be a memory leak in one of my extensions or something (given that it affects other programs).

Stepping back to FF-2 is probably the safe option.

Comment

I had the same, but only on one comp. I will check what addons I have on both FF3b5 installs. Running top on a konsole on the desktop (and ssh remotely, does show that FF is the culprit)

Comment

Had the same problem. Firefox beta , for some reason, was using 100% CPU for periods of time. I have reverted to firefox 2 and no further problems. Shame, too, because firefox3 looks nice, seems a lot quicker than 2 but just has these couple of annoying bugs. Looking forward to the final release.
          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Working...
          X