X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

misery after upgrade to Hardy

Few days ago I upgraded to Hardy. I end up with following problems:

* after restart it won't boot with 2.6.24-16-generic; I had to revert to 2.6.17 remove 2.6.24 and reinstall with synaptic. Afterwards OK.

*X was constantly crashing (it never gets to login screen); have to use install DVD which found a "problem" with X and it did the fix; OK now.

* unable to change the background picture no matter what I do; i did it via 3 (Way ?) different places without a success.

* no way to get the TwinView (Dual Monitor) working (using several Nvidia drivers). Till Hardy no problem. Also if I enable Dual Monitors via System Setting all kinds of problems are happening; size of a desktop unable to control, resolution constantly changing etc.

* using Kcontrol when I need Administrator privileges the buttom doesn't show at all.

* and some other

This is by far the worse release I have used so far ( I started with 5.10 ).

How about concentrating on reliability & stability first; then when those things are sorted out go furthe with bells and whistles.

Personally I believe that the release dates should be further apart allowing developers to do some polishing; otherwise Kubuntu will be riding a Windows road (lots of crappy unfixable code).

Luckily I did try this on my old production machine (dual PIII); my Q6600 machine is happily running 7.10 (x64).

There is some good in all this; I will do a clean install of 8.04 as soon as I transfer 200 + Gig of data to NAS (ethernet 100) and external usb (1.1) drives providing system doesn't crash in a meantime.

Keep the crap out aka do not go the Windows way.

Re: misery after upgrade to Hardy

I forgot one very important thing:

Ctrl - Alt - Backspace doesn't get me anywhere; I end up with nothing more than a black screen. Way to go 8.04 team.

Comment

I have to agree with you on this release. I love Kubuntu but this release is crappy. It took me forever to figure out how to install restricted drivers and get compiz fusion working. When trying to change some of the theme features, like style and colors, it freezes and then the toolbars disappear and all the buttons and you have to close everything through the menu and logout. I'm sorry but I'm going back to Gutsy. This should never have been released.

Comment

Ubuntu LTS releases (Long Term Suppport) are about two years apart, this time around Kubuntu was explicitly denied the LTS status due to the expected arrival of KDE4.
        All other releases like 7.04 and 7.10 are only 6 months apart for a good reason, they are snapshots of the development towards the next LTS release.
        So for Kubuntu we'll have to be patient and wait for the bugs in the present release to be ironed out.

Please remember no new release of any OS is ever acceptable until at least SP2...

Comment

Hi;
          So far I have come up with a few minor irritants, but nothing major on this laptop. A gateway 8510GZ. Hardy installed perfectly. I only had problems with ATI and the flgrx driver. But got that worked out pretty quick using this forum to find a solution. I did try to install Hardy on my desktop which is running Gutsy just fine, but couldn't get Hardy to install. So I left Gutsy on it. Through all the Linux distros I have used I have found Kubuntu/Ubuntu by far the best and easiest to install, configure and fix, if something goes south.
          Good luck.

Comment

Try a CLEAN install instead of upgrading.

I did a clean install of Hardy (64 bit) and everything works just fine, including all the issues you described (except I haven't tried twin monitors or compiz). NVidia restricted rivers installed automatically. Just DVD playback took some fiddling, that wasn't very straightforward.

Comment

Fresh install on an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 CPU no problems except I don't use dual monitors.

Been up and running since day one of new release; working flawlessly so far.

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

Noobie here. I did an upgrade to Hardy and now have serious issues that I don't know how to fix. No clue even where to start. I am running compiz fusion and have proper nVidia drivers (as far as I know).

problems:
                1) No audio. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Video is unaffected.
                2) Taskbar has disappeared. Can't access the "K".

How can I do a clean install if I can't even burn the image unto cd? I don't know how to access any programs from run command. Remember that I no longer have access to the menu.

Please advise.

Comment

ghorse,

I can't see the taskbar either after upgrading to Hardy -- to get it back, right-click on the desktop, select Run Command, and run 'kicker' -- that should load the taskbar for you. Can't help with the audio issues, though. Sorry.

Guy

Originally posted by ghorse
                  Noobie here. I did an upgrade to Hardy and now have serious issues that I don't know how to fix. No clue even where to start. I am running compiz fusion and have proper nVidia drivers (as far as I know).

problems:
                  1) No audio. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Video is unaffected.
                  2) Taskbar has disappeared. Can't access the "K".

How can I do a clean install if I can't even burn the image unto cd? I don't know how to access any programs from run command. Remember that I no longer have access to the menu.

Please advise.

Comment

Working...
                  X