This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4, file associations -> "Updating Sys Config" dialog endless loop

I guess I should put this in as a bug someplace. I upgraded from 7.04 -> 8.04. Under KDE4, when you click on a folder in Konqueror, it opens Dolphin. I cannot stand Dolphin. So I went to change the setting. Firstly, there is no longer a "Properties" option in the right-click context menu. That's a shame. In Systems Settings, there are only 5 things under Default Apps, none of them are folder or inode. That's odd. In Konqueror, I can either choose "Open With" (and choose Konqueror, ironically enough) and click the checkbox for "remember", or I can do the same thing in Konqueror's config and hunt for folder and inode.

HOWEVER, either way, I get the traditional percent complete bargraph saying "Updating System Configuration". Except that when it hits 100%, it starts over. And it goes on and on, over and over. Endless loop.

I can't find a flat file where the associations are stored.

Re: KDE4, file associations -> "Updating Sys Config" dialog endless loop

I had this same problem.

I found the options under Konqueror of all places.

in Konqueror: Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> File Associations ->

expand the inode type, and then click on directory. there should be two applications - dolphin and Konqueror. I deleted the Dolphin entry altogether. I also removed it from "mount point" under inode too.

Comment

Re: KDE4, file associations -> "Updating Sys Config" dialog endless loop

Right - except that on my system, the settings never take effect. The little "Updating System Configuration" dialog just keeps rolling 0-100, 0-100, 0-100 - forever. Until I finally cancel it.

Where are the settings? Which file, so I can just manually change it? Or is it some kind of binary now?

BTW, why would Dolphin be the default anyway? Even within Konqueror? Why, if I'm browsing files using Konqueror, would clicking a folder cause a whole separate app to open up, rather than the previous, NORMAL behavior of the folder actually opening within the app that I'm opening it with? Dumb.

And I do not understand the need for Dolphin? What's wrong with Konqueror? I mean, besides the fact that it is WAAAY better, easier to use, more functional for browsing files & folders than Dolphin, which is a pile of poo?

Comment

Working...
      X