This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop NVU update in Adept

I have moved up to Hardy (&stayed with kde3,5) and now I have the update icon by the clock wanting me to update NVU to Kompozer........something I do not want to do.
    I want to know when updates are available but I also want to pick & choose.
    How can I adjust what I do and do not want upgraded?

in adept I can get a menu but my choices are to remove NVU or upgrade it.....I want to pass on both.

thanks
    -- <br />Yatgirl&#39;s Box New Orleans

Re: Stop NVU update in Adept

Re: how to block the upgrade of a package
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Stop NVU update in Adept

*edited** I went back to Gutsy so this thread is officially in the wrong sub-forum.

This one? I do not have a preferences file in root in apt. I'm willing to RTFM but I may need a little hand-holding. thanks

****3.10 How to keep specific versions of packages installed (complex)

You may have occasion to modify something in a package and don't have time or don't want to port those changes to a new version of the program. Or, for instance, you may have just upgraded your Debian distribution to 3.0, but want to continue with the version of a certain package from Debian 2.2. You can "pin" the version you have installed so that it will not be upgraded.

Using this resource is simple. You just need to edit the file /etc/apt/preferences.

The format is simple:

Package: <package>
      Pin: <pin definition>
      Pin-Priority: <pin's priority>

Each entry must be separated from any other entries by a blank line. For example, to keep package sylpheed that I have modified to use "reply-to-list" at version 0.4.99, I add:

Package: sylpheed
      Pin: version 0.4.99*

Note that I used an * (asterisk). This is a "wildcard"; it say that I want that this "pin" to be valid for all versions beginning with 0.4.99. This is because Debian versions its packages with a "Debian revision" and I don't want to avoid the installation of these revisions. So, for instance, versions 0.4.99-1 and 0.4.99-10 will be installed as soon as they are made available. Note that if you modified the package you won't want to do things this way.

The pin priority helps determine whether a package matching the "Packages:" and "Pin:" lines will be installed, with higher priorities making it more likely that a matching package will be installed. You can read apt_preferences(7) for a thorough discussion of priorities, but a few examples should give the basic idea. The following describes the effect of setting the priority field to different values in the sylpheed example above.
      -- <br />Yatgirl&#39;s Box New Orleans

Comment

Working...
      X