This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to use a chat room [Unsolved]

Ok, I have an interesting little problem here, and I'm hoping someone who can help me. I use one of the chatrooms over at userplane and ever since I installed Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit, I've not been able to log in to the room. I click on the chat button and it just says connecting forever.

Now the interesting thing is I've upgraded my laptop too but I can access the room from there. The differences are that my laptop uses the 32-bit version and I used the adept manager to upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04. For the desktop, I was previously using 7.10 64-bit and used the CD to format my root partition and install the KDE4 version.

So I have a couple of thoughts, either there is something in the home partition which is conflicting which got upgraded on my laptop but not on my desktop. Or I'm having some weird flash problem with the 64 bit version of Firefox (although youtube and gamespot videos work absolutely fine).

I just have no idea where to go to solve this weird little problem. I tried copying my firefox profile over from the laptop to the desktop but that didn't help. It must be something else. Any ideas?

Re: Unable to use a chat room [Unsolved]

do you have noscript in firefox if using firefox? if so try allowing javascript and try again, do you have cookies disabled, try enabling them and retry your request again.
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

I do have No Script but I've allowed all scripts possible and it still doesn't connect to the room. And cookies are enabled too. The settings between my laptop and my desktop as far as I can see are exactly the same (obviously I must be missing something though, but I imagine it's some settings file in /home or .mozilla). I'm not sure if you've tried one of the rooms yourself to see what happens. I just see the connecting screen forever, and it never goes to authenticating after which the room appears.

Comment

may I have the url to the chatrooms to check myself?

Comment

http://www.userplane.com/directory/i...on=domain.home

You can try any of those, that's every chat room in userplane, they all give the same result.

Comment

hmmm, press ctrl + shift + del on your keybaord and clear the cache, then press F5 on your keyboard to reload the page userplane page. Also are you running any type of firewall?

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

go there and scan your system, does it show your ports as stealth?

Also if you don't have, try using the Adobe Flash for linux and in the drop-down box choose .tar.gz for linux.

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash

if all else fails, try installing firefox from the main site, you can use swiftfox as it has a binary version or find a script that will download/compile the firefox for linux from the main site, as now that I think of it, I'm going to assume your running firefox 3.x it's a BETA :/ + that and you won't get any beta updates for any firefox from ubuntu/kubuntu in the end anyway.

Swiftfox url for downloading 2.0.0.13pre2 is http://getswiftfox.com/br18.htm

Go to the download section if you'd like to try out a beta of swiftfox.

Comment

Ok, first I cleared the cache which I have tried before, but I did it again anyway just to make sure. Still states connecting and never gets to authenticating and then actually connecting to the room. I checked the ports and every port is stealthed. I don't believe I'm using any sort of software firewall and it's not active on my router, I guess just whatever is determined by IP Tables (am I talking crap here? lol).

I then tried to install Adobe Flash but I have a problem with using 64-bit architecture so I need to remember how to use nspluginwrapper again. Flash is currently installed via the Adept Manager which has the following details
              Adobe Flash Player plugin installer

This package will download the Flash Player from Adobe. It is a Netscape/Mozilla type plugin. Any browser based on Netscape or Mozilla can use the Flash plugin. This package currently supports the following browsers: Mozilla, Mozilla-Firefox, Firefox, Iceweasel, and Iceape. Also Galeon and Epiphany can use the Flash plugin. Konqueror can also use the Flash plugin if konqueror-nsplugins is installed.

WARNING: Installing this Ubuntu package causes the Adobe flash plugin to be downloaded from www.adobe.com. The distribution license of the Adobe flash plugin is available at www.adobe.com. Installing this Ubuntu package implies that you have accepted the terms of that license.

Homepage: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/FlashPlayer9
              I then finally tried Swiftfox, but I guess by not using the tar.gz file from Adobe, it's not worked properly and so the one from the packages doesn't work with Swiftfox as described. As I mentioned, I don't think it's a Firefox 3 Beta problem, because it works on my laptop, the difference is the laptop is 32 bit and my desktop is 64-bit.

My inkling is maybe a flash problem, since it didn't work on Swiftfox maybe there is a slight problem with the way it's installed by the package manager. That's a complete guess but I know I installed Flash on 7.10 64-bit using nspluginwrapper. I just forgot how I did it, and I'm wondering if I should do the same here.

It's just weird cause sites like youtube or anything else I know of that requires flash works fine, but this chat room by userplane just doesn't like it for some reason, on 64-bit at least or maybe just my system. Is anyone else with 64bit Hardy Heron KDE4 able to log into a room at userplane?

EDIT: Ok, managed to use nspluginwrapper but just the same result as before. This is a weird one. All I can think of is a fresh install, so wiping home as well but I kind of want to keep that, and not to sure I want to deal with the hassle of backups right now.

ANOTHER EDIT: Used Swiftfox since I installed flash via nspluginwrapper. Again the same result, forever connecting.

Comment

Working...
              X