This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partitions - Mounting and Permissions

So a clean install of Hardy has come off nearly perfectly - had a little wireless weirdness, but got it fixed lickety split.

There's only one thing keeping it from being perfect, and I can't get it figured out. I've got all my music and pictures and stuff on a separate partition (sda3), but I cannot figure out how to get that partition mounted when the machine starts up. Amarok can't find my collection until it mounts. I've checked the "automount" box under Properties, but that still doesn't do it. I feel like I'm missing something basic.

Any help? It's not SO horrible to have to mount the thing by hand, but I kinda feel like I shouldn't have to, you know? Help a brother out!

Re: Partitions - Mounting and Permissions

Try
    K > System Settings > Advanced > Disk & Filesystems
    Administrator Mode (button)
    highlight the partition in the list
    Modify
    check the boxes you want; click so Any user can do anything at any time
    Automount at startup
    Mount Point: if it is /dev/sdc1, use a mount point /media/sdc1
    OK
    back out
    Enable
    Exit out
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That did it. Somehow I missed that "advanced" tab entirely. Thanks a million!

Comment

Glad you got it going!
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Now I've developed another problem. I've got it so that it mounts where I want it at startup. The permissions for the partition are effed up, however, and it's making me nuts. It's where I keep my music and photos, but I can't make it so that anyone other than root can write to them, which makes it impossible to add new photos or songs.

Amarok can read it, so that's good, but I can't add any new files.
          DigiKam won't accept my photo directory on the partition because it can't write to it.

It's sda3, and it's mounted at startup at /media/sda3. Right now, the owner and group are set as "root." If I change them to my username, should that do it? I keep trying to set it via Dolphin, both as my user ID and as root so that anyone can read and modify any folder on the partition, but it won't seem to take.

Isn't the whole sudo thing supposed to replace the whole root idea? Anyway, if anyone can help me figure out what I'm missing (and it may be as simple as a sudo chmod), I'd be eternally grateful.

Comment

Have a look at Reply #1 (= Part 2) of this How-To:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3091607.0
            See chown: change ownership example (about halfway through Part 2).
            Tuxfiles goes into more detail (see References).
            At the command line (Konsole), chown should do it, along with permissions to rwx, which is there also.
            Please post any questions back here.

Comment

Yeah, I thought it would be something like that. However, when I do sudo chown -R, I get an error message that says "operation not permitted." A little Googling finds me a forum post that says "You can't chown or chmod FAT32 or NTFS partitions. Permissions for Windows partitions are defined only by umask."

Found the problem! Under system settings -> advanced -> disk and filesystems, I modified the volume's type to be VFAT, which immediately let me set the user and group to myself, and all is right with the world. I can read, write and execute to my little heart's content.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Comment

Neat solution you figured out there!
                Thanks for giving us the feedback on what worked.

Comment

No - thank you! And I always like to leave a footprint with what actually worked in case someone else is having a similar problem and is out there rocking the Google for it.

Maybe someday I'll just know enough to offer advice, but in the meantime, I figure the least I can do is leave detailed records of my own fumblings, you know?

Comment

If I may say so, I can't help but notice your keen clarity for logic. The forum here can certainly use some sharp people like yourself to help out, and so I hope you'll hang around as time permits and join the party on a regular basis. Welcome aboard!

Comment

You're clearly a horrible judge of character.

Glad to stick around. I'm bananas for Kubuntu these days, so I'm sure I'll be on here a lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X