This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing in /etc

I have tried to edit /etc/default/bluetooth and I did a "sudo konqueror" , "sudo vi" , and it says I don't have write privileges
    I also tried to login as "root" and it tells me "failed" and I know password is correct.
    If I had to change SU password how would I do it in Kubuntu?
    Jim

Re: Editing in /etc

Should be kdesu konqueror.
    But, anyway, did you try
    sudo su
    to get root terminal?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      I have trouble getting use to how Kubuntu verses Fedora does it

Comment

You could have as easily, used Konqueror to navigate to the file in question, right-clicked the file and selected Actions > Edit as Root, which is actually the 'better' way to edit a file 'as root' as you are only being granted 'root privileges' for the specific task.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

... and, as you probably know, after getting a root terminal, as soon as you are done with the task at hand, it's good practice to "back out" to your normal user's terminal by typing
          exit
          to get your normal prompt (not as root).
          Just in case

btw, there's a technical reason why
          sudo su
          is a naughty thing to do
          (but it always works )
          but a Linux dev is the one who gave it to me as a measure of last resort.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X