Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{Solved, sort of} Loss of ability to play a DVD after upgrade to Hardy Haron

Today I did an upgrade to Hardy Haron. Everything appeared to go well and everything seems to work well except for lacking the ability to play DVDs. Everything worked under Gutsy. Kaffeine tells me that it cannot read the media and trys to install a codec while another message says that the codec is already there.

"LibDVDCSS (http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html) is about to be installed, it allows you to watch encrypted DVD videos. This is illegal in some countries which require decryption to be authorised by the copyright holder. Do you want to install this package?"

If I tell it to install, Firefox opens to a "404" error.

If I "apt-get install libDVDCSS" then it tells me that the library has been obsoleted and that there is no replacement candidate.

Can anyone explain to me how I can fix this?

Thanks

Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Re: Loss of ability to play a DVD after upgrade to Hardy Haron

Hopefully so; try installing the Medibuntu repository:
    Code:
    sudo wget [url]http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list[/url] -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring
    Then, install the library again:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

[Solved, sort of} Re: Loss of ability to play a DVD after upgrade to Hardy Haron

OK, it's Kaffeine that's broken. MoviePlayer plays DVDs just fine. I guess Kaffeine will need to be updated.
      Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Re: {Solved, sort of} Loss of ability to play a DVD after upgrade to Hardy Haron

HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X