X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: can't run dolphin as root

Kubuntu KDE4 8.04 RC:

When I try to run kdesu dolphin, I get a dialog that says "Command not found!" I then opened a terminal window and typed sudo dolphin, and got the response sudo: dolphin: command not found. Finally, I sudoed to root by typing sudo -i, and tried to run dolphin, and got "The program 'dolphin' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    apt-get install dolphin
    -bash: dolphin: command not found"

Any ideas?

Re: can't run dolphin as root

try calling it d3lphin -- that's how it shows up on my Gutsy.

Comment

Thanks, I just tried it, got the same result. Anyone have any other ideas?

Comment

Just opened a console and typed:
        Code:
        kdesu d3lphin
        and Dolphin started right up (as "root").
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If your on KDE4 then I presume it would be dolphin. Have you tried

type dolphin
          which dolphin
          locate dolphin

(as your normal user)

and do any turn up the executable? If so, it may be somewhere that's not in root's $PATH. There may be a reason for that, so as a workaround you'll have to do something like kdesu /usr/bin/dolphin.

If none of those find it, it's possible that Dolphin's got uninstalled or deleted for some reason, so try reinstalling it.
          I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

As you don't have 'dolphin' installed from your first report, I am assuming you are running the Hardy Heron KDE4 'respin', so if that is the case, then you only have KDE4's dolphin installed. In either case I beleive you run it by calling 'kdesu /usr/lib/kde4/bin/dolphin'

Comment

SOLVED: can't run dolphin as root

thanks for the tip to try locate dolphin - I found the path to the launch script and prepended it to the command as so:

kdesu /usr/lib/kde4/bin/dolphin

and it worked. Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Working...
              X