X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: any good HOW-TO's for vmware?

Originally posted by noelvh
    Hi,
    This may have been linked but this is what I did to set up VMware player for free.
    http://www.smokinglinux.com/tutorial...untu-gutsy-710
    Its for ubuntu but works for kubuntu. As I am not that well versed in linux this was way to easy. There is allot of steps, but if you do it as it states its easy.

Once you have VMware player installed you need to go to www.easyvmx.com and create the vm machine.

If you install v2 of VMWP use the v2 for easy vmx.

Noel Vh.
    Thanks, that looks like a pretty good tutorial, I'm thinking I will avoid the vm for now, but will probably come back to it for fun later on.

Originally posted by RJ Hythloday
    Originally posted by alpinist
    Originally posted by alpinist
    If you're just looking for a way to run firefox for non 'nix sites a virtual machine may be overkill. I have windows version of firefox installed in wine and it will run several windows only sites. (Though I haven't gotten veoh working in it.)
    I'm pretty sure I'll need vm, could you try abc.com's player and lmk your result?
    I've been watching Lost using firefox in wine on the ABC site. Their player installs very easy in wine.

I installed ff3b in wine but it doesn't run. I found the firefox.exe in the wine folder and created a shortcut to the desktop but clicking it doesn't do anything.

Any ideas?
    It took a while and ff3b actually launched and showed a crash report so I installed ff2 in wine and am posting from it now. abc's player is a bit to resource hungry for this machine(the kids) but I think it'll do fine when I get it on the mediapc.

Will I have to install ATI drivers seperately? or will video output from envy or xorg or what ever be sufficient for the player in wine?
    [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

Installing VirtualBox and an associated virtual machine is really easy. Just go to the website, add the repo, use apt-get, aptitude, or adept to install it. Run it. One needs very little technical expertise as it is very graphical and the user guide (pdf) is inclusive and has most of what you need to know in it. One has to create a user group and I think that was the only thing I overlooked, and a pop up occurred that told me what I needed to do. From then on, I have been using XP. It has USB device support (it sees my printer, usb sticks, iPod, external drives, etc."

And, as a repo, it updates as needed. Lastly, I think I used the gutsy (7.10) repo as hardy isn't built yet. On a kernel update at some point, it got a message about having to run something so I did it in terminal, and VB fired right up.

There are some minor differences between VMware and VirtualBox, but the latter is free.

Though I have used wine in the past, I use it less and less. It is a great thing, but it tends to be fairly quirky. The graphics and text just don't look all that great. In KDE 4, for me at least, wine programs have wome sort of graphics issue where parts of certain programs don't refresh on the screen, or parts of open windows remain. If you minimize and then maximize, it refreshes.

Comment

Originally posted by maestrobwh1
        There are some minor differences between VMware and VirtualBox, but the latter is free.
        The VMware player is 100% free. I gave VB a try when over 2 years ago and it worked very well.
        I just found VMWP was easy to install and even easer to configure (as there was no configuration).

Noel Vh.

"Why dual boot when you can run XP in VM"
        This is a quote from a user on the Freespire forum.
        ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

So all in all, what would be the most reliable way to watch abc.com or other non *nix friendly flash players on a *nix machine.

Dual boot is out.

Installing firefox2 w/ wine was easy enough but I can't really judge it by this machine. ABC was choppy and not watchable, no gpu and slow cpu on this machine, I'm ready to throw an os on the media pc in sig and looking for best solution. I still haven't tried vm and won't on this machine, but will if it's going to be the better solution.

Looking for stability and also does vm require setting up the graphics card seperately from xorg.conf?

Thanks for all the feedback so far, keep 'em coming.

btw, w/ both firefoxes open the *nix version was using 32mb ram, while the firefox.exe was using over 60mb both ff2.
          [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

Looking for stability and also does vm require setting up the graphics card seperately from xorg.conf?
            The VM uses a "fake generic" video display -- it does not interface directly with your real graphics hardware. So you need to configure the display correctly in Linux in the first place, but then the VM does not require any further video configuration, except perhaps to set the desktop size of the VM.

For example, I have a Nvidia card nicely configured on my 64-bit Kubuntu 8.04 system, which uses a 1600x1200 desktop. So when I installed VMWare Player 2.03, and Windows XP on that VM, I right-clicked the Win XP desktop and set it to 1280 x 1024, so it appears to be a big "window" on my Kubuntu desktop. In Win XP, I can open Internet Explorer and view any media site that won't play for linux, such as your abc.com site or I can play the music on Rhapsody.com, which is not compatible with a 64-bit OS.

HTH

Comment

I installed ff3b in wine but it doesn't run. I found the firefox.exe in the wine folder and created a shortcut to the desktop but clicking it doesn't do anything.
              Any ideas?
              I'm running ff 2.0 so don't know about 3. If you go to the K menu, is there an entry under wine - programs - mozilla firefox?
              When I installed with wine it was just there and works. Didn't have to do any configuration.

Comment

yeah, I ended up finding it there, I was just trying to create a shortcut launcher in the tool bar.

Comment

If you are in kde3.5 then just right click on the panel and add program>choose program. Finished.

If you are in kde4 navigate to the app you want to add in kmenu and right click>add to taskbar.
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                  X