This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 not working at all, can't login!!

Just downloaded the latest Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE4, I know it's not fully finished but I didn't expect bugs this big!

Installation from CD worked fine, no worries there. booting up works fine, everything seems fine until the point where I try to login, and then the fun starts.

The splashscreen comes up, loading KDE4 etc, gets to the last icon (the big blue K) and then it just freezes, mouse locks up, few seconds later screen goes black, then the login manager loads again, and the process repeats every time I try to login.

Failsafe and Console login work fine, I ran apt-get update, upgrade and dist-upgrade, which downloaded a lot of new stuff but I still get the exact same problem.

Can anyone help with this please?

Re: KDE4 not working at all, can't login!!

Could you post your hardware specs?

Like motherboard, video card, etc.

That would help others help you
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Motherboard: ASUS K8V-VM
      Video: S3/VIA(?) Chrome 9 IGP integrated into VIA K8M890 Chipset

Comment

FINALLY... another member of the chorus.

I have been adding my own post for quite some time (see below) and it is not solved, and many replies suggest permissions issues or deleting files and directories without reading the whole post. It is NOT a permissions issue, as it happens with the live CD also. Same board and graphics card.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3092391.0

or if you know you have the VIA Chrome 9 graphics chipset:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3093233.0

Comment

HI i am exactly the same problem... II forgot what ****s I installed before I restarted the computer. then the icon loaded until the last blue K one then it completely died. I hit ctrl alt del no use. Then 3 secs later a small white box came up then disappeared. I tried to download gdm and it only worked until the point of last icon. I think the KDE killed everything. I have no idea how to solve the problem. Generally, 8.04, I think, is alright but it seems that there are still big bugs and they come out very easily. I install xubuntu on my other computer and it had minor bugs too.

Comment

Working...
          X