This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 - How to change an "?" icon to something else

I have a few file types (like *.doc) that show the correct apps to open when right clicked (openoffice, abiword) but I cannot figure out how to change the icon to something else more identifiable in KDE4. I tried SystemSettings Advanced >> File Associations and those items are listed in the proper order but I still have an ? icon. In kde3, one could click the icon and change it.

Re: KDE4 - How to change an "?" icon to something else

Yeh I still have a few of those ? icons dotted around the place: I kind of assumed they were just missing icons that would be filled in... would be interesting to know if there is another reason e.g. for me "Desktop" and "Photos" both have that "?" icon.

Comment

Ok figured out. Right click >> Properties. Click on the icon in the properties dialog and you'll get a chooser. For folders (.e.g Desktop, Photos) you want to look under "Places"

That is all Works for me...

Comment

Indeed some things can be changed and the icon has a highlighted box around it in properties, but the *.doc file has the "?" in a sense that is has no highlighted box around it, so it is not clickable to get the chooser. I could do this for file folders easily, but not certain kinds of files like *.doc

Oddly, if I fuss around with it, it gets a text icon until I mouse over the file then it goes back to a "?"

Comment

Oh hang on, I understand: It's not possible to change them for filetypes (System Settings->File Associations)... yeh, that sucks a bit. Can't see an easy way around that.

Comment

This good to learn -- keep it up, mafitzpatrick! I have that "?" Desktop icon myself, which I will soon fix thanks to your excellent experiment.

Comment

I guess it is one kind of annoyance I'll put up with for now. I tried everything I know how to do...

Comment

Well, it's odd. I'd prefer to change the "Desktop" icon to a folder like the "Docs" and "Images", but for some reason the "Filesystem" icons window is empty.

So how do the "Docs" get to have a folder icon that doesn't apparently exist in the proper window?

Very confusing. My Desktop "?" now looks like a picture of a computer, since there are plenty of "Device" icons.

Comment

I wonder if it was intentional that certain file type icons can't be changed? Seems odd, since in my case, the *.doc is associated with abiword and openoffice. Seems like it would show either icon...

*.doc shows up in SystemSettings>Advanced>File Associations with those two items listed as "associated" but the "?" shows up, and again is not "clickable" to open the chooser, even here.

It is an aesthetics thing:-)

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    So how do the "Docs" get to have a folder icon that doesn't apparently exist in the proper window?
                    I'm not at home right now, but from memory the sorts of icons you're looking for are now listed under "Places" instead of "Filesystem". It confused me too - there only seemed to be a few listed under Filesystem while that was where all the folder/etc. icons used to be.

Have a look and if you don't find it let me know - I'll have another look when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by mafitzpatrick

from memory the sorts of icons you're looking for are now listed under "Places" instead of "Filesystem".
                      Precisely right! I had not realized you could scroll down and find some additional locations, including "Places". Perfect -- thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                      X