This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernel upgrade

Guess I should have waited to upgrade, I lost X with .14 using the nvidia new driver.

Re: kernel upgrade

Now I noticed that "restricted linux modules for generic" is won't upgrade but continues to list?

Comment

I just took the plunge and applied the update.
      Everything installed without a glitch. No errors so far.

Will report back after re-boot. If you do not hear from me in the next few hours, then there is a problem.

Comment

Reboot successful as well. No problems so far. At least on my machine.

Comment

I'm not sure what happened -- I think maybe I used the Adept Updater before all the needed packages were available, so I got a semi-upgrade last night that included a new kernel. It didn't work so good -- among other things I mindlessly let it install a new Grub boot menu which installed 2 errors that I got to track down and fix, after staring at the initramfs busybox shell and scratching my head for awhile. This morning I hit the updater again, and got another load of files and the rest of the kernel package, I think -- I saw the restricted-modules package come in. So I'm guessing there was a big update and you need all of it to end up with a fully-functioning system.

@crossface, a kernel upgrade will always break the proprietary video driver installation -- just log in to the CLI and run
          Code:
          sudo envy -t
          (assuming you wisely installed Envy to do your Nvidia driver installation).

Comment

Alls well this a.m. Just finished the upgrade and everything is hunky dory. I liked the way 8.04 installed nvidia and compiz didnt use envy. The nvidia driver breaking with kernel upgrade was fixed some time ago.

Comment

Working...
            X