This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FF3Beta4 in 8.04 [RESOLVED- thanks Spotslayer!]

yes I know it's beta in beta ... but it's constantly closing with no warning
    Should I nuke 3 and reinstall 2, just install 2
    thoughts?
    WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF WHEN WE&#39;RE ALL BETTER OFF<br />User # 17645

Re: FF3Beta4 in 8.04

FF3 is really behaving very well here. If it were me, I guess I'd try to troubleshoot it a little - maybe there's something else going on that would affect FF2 as well. :P

On the other hand, it's a very fast experiment to remove --purge FF3 and install FF2 and see if there's any problem, so I wouldn't blame for taking that route.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      FF3 is really behaving very well here. If it were me, I guess I'd try to troubleshoot it a little - maybe there's something else going on that would affect FF2 as well. :P

On the other hand, it's a very fast experiment to remove --purge FF3 and install FF2 and see if there's any problem, so I wouldn't blame for taking that route.
      if I knew how to troubleshoot it, I would- I'd rather help than quit :-) it closes so fast I can't even get registered at launchpad ...

Comment

If you run it from a Konsole window, are there any errors when it launches?

What kind of video setup do you have?

Here's a notion -- run top in a konsole window, and park that window down in a corner where you can keep an eye on it. Then launch Firefox and see what kind action happens to the top running processes, especially when you hit the Launchpad site.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          If you run it from a Konsole window, are there any errors when it launches?
          None. I keep 6 desktops up, one of which always has Konsole running. I went there, typed firefox, and up it came, 2nd instance because there was another running on another desktop. That was well over an hour ago, and both are still trucking right along

What has changed in the meantime was the update alert came up- when I ran it, it replaced xkb-data and xserver-xorg-core

maybe that was what it wanted??

Comment

nah- it started dying again. I'm going to try going back to 2 and see what happens

Comment

Have you tried to close firefox, copy your ~/.mozilla folder to a safe location and then delete ~/.mozilla. Start firefox again. This will recreate your profile. U will have to restore your settings and bookmarks using the new restore feature in FF3. The files will still be in the original ~/.mozilla and can then be imported. I do think u will lose any stored passwords.

David

Comment

Originally posted by spotslayer
                Have you tried to close firefox, copy your ~/.mozilla folder to a safe location and then delete ~/.mozilla. Start firefox again. This will recreate your profile. U will have to restore your settings and bookmarks using the new restore feature in FF3. The files will still be in the original ~/.mozilla and can then be imported. I do think u will lose any stored passwords.

David
                I had not (hadn't even thought of that, actually) but have now. It's been running for about 45 minutes without dying, I've had eight tabs open with radar and satellite animations running in a couple, bopped around to my hearts content ... and thus far, it seems to be working just peachy fine, thank you very much! I don't store passwords ever, so all it took was importing the bookmarks, which went slick like ...
                whatever :-)

so again: thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                X