X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

numlockx and KDE 3.5

Hi all,

I've followed all docs to activate numlockx on KDM startup :
    http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/numlockx (sorry for the french)
    Anyway, first, I was surprised to see that my Xsetup file was nothing like the one described. And of course, adding the described lines doesn't do anything...

Has someone successfully activated it?

Re: numlockx and KDE 3.5

Open a console and type or copy and paste:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install numlockx
    sudo echo numlockx on >>/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup

For those of you that are using kde4 just replace kde3 with kde4.
    Registered Linux User #380263 - Registered Linux Computer #279395<br />Linux, working hard to save you $$$ - Get a clue, get Linux!<br />Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz, Intel Desktop Board D945GTP, Intel On Board Audio, Video and Ethernet Controller

Comment

well, it doesn't work...
      Could that be linked to the fact that I have a wireless keyboard?

Comment

Have you tried : K > System Settings > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard > Numlock on KDE Startup... ?

Topic: Please remember the state of my NumLock as I like it on!
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Yes, I did try it. I want numlock on KDM login window, since my password involves numbers... Once I'm in KDE, things are fine.

Comment

Sorry, I don't use USB keyboard, maybe take a look at your BIOS and see if USB is enabled.
            Registered Linux User #380263 - Registered Linux Computer #279395<br />Linux, working hard to save you $$$ - Get a clue, get Linux!<br />Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz, Intel Desktop Board D945GTP, Intel On Board Audio, Video and Ethernet Controller

Comment

So nobody launches KDM with numlock on?

Anyway, another weird thing... When I login with KDM, I have to press the numlock once, then in KDE no problem, It's kept on. I've set the proper setting in the system settings to "keep on" rather than "leave unchanged".
              So the weird thing is that when I logout, and come back to the KDM login window, the numlock key has no effect at all!!! their is no way to turn it on, I have to use the regular number keys. Weird isn't it? restarting X solves the pblm. Should I fire a bug or somethnig?

now, maybe i could try to run numlockx while loading xorg rather than KDM since /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup doesn't seem to be working

Comment

My numlock was always screwy in KDE3. It would be lit up on the keyboard, but be off. I had to hit it once to turn it off (although it was already off) then hit it again to turn it on. Perhaps when it seems not to be working, the light just isn't telling you what is true? Would think something this simple would be figured out by now! I guess no-one uses it... except you!

Comment

I do and I have been pretty annoyed that this issue still exists and has fallen on deaf ears or blind eyes or whatever. I use my number pad as a number pad, and I go to use it and find that I have moved the cursor somewhere rather than typed a number.

Every version of KDE, independent of the distro, has allowed me to go into systemsettings and do it. The option is there, but does nothing when clicked. I thought it had been kde4, but I see that the issue is in kde3.

Originally posted by rwanou
                  So nobody launches KDM with numlock on?

Anyway, another weird thing... When I login with KDM, I have to press the numlock once, then in KDE no problem, It's kept on. I've set the proper setting in the system settings to "keep on" rather than "leave unchanged".
                  So the weird thing is that when I logout, and come back to the KDM login window, the numlock key has no effect at all!!! their is no way to turn it on, I have to use the regular number keys. Weird isn't it? restarting X solves the pblm. Should I fire a bug or somethnig?

now, maybe i could try to run numlockx while loading xorg rather than KDM since /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup doesn't seem to be working

Comment

+1

Comment

I've added to the bug here: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=126539

This has been open for a while but given reports are from Debian based distros that may be the source of the problem. Regardless if KDE is set to enable numlock, it should be being set *somehow*. I've posted a comment on the bug and will re-open it if it looks as though KDE is the place to fix it...

Comment

Using KDE4: This worked for me except it would not accept the sudo command on the last item so I did a

sudo su
                        root$ echo numlockx on >>/etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup

I have found that I have had to do this sometimes in recent versions of ubuntu (since gutsy).

Originally posted by Jimmy Johnson
                        Open a console and type or copy and paste:
                        sudo apt-get update
                        sudo apt-get install numlockx
                        sudo echo numlockx on >>/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup

For those of you that are using kde4 just replace kde3 with kde4.
                        Edit 2
                        /usr/lib/kde4/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc

Numlock is posted as "off" even with it changed to "on" in systemsettings. I changed this to "on"

Comment

numlockx is for gnome, not kde. To activate NUMLOCK in KDE, you check the box in the keyboard section of desktop settings.

Comment

I am using kdm to load kde4.

I had a look at this with kate:
                            /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup
                            and don't have a Xsetup file.

I would like to have numlocks activated at loading kde4 and have it activated in system settings but to no avail.

Comment

Working...
                            X