This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

memory

I dont know if this is a bug, but it seems that 8.04 doesn't refresh memory very good.
    When i boot up my memory is around 350 MB and as i use programs and the internet it goes up, lets say to maybe 1200 MB's and even when I have the computer ideling for 30 minutes or so it still stays at 1200 MB's
    When I refresh the desktop it still does not change the memory, that takes a reboot.
    I also noticed the swap doesn't change, it is at zero

BTW I like this much better than 7.04

Re: memory

Linux is designed to make maximum use of available memory, in contrast to Windows which is designed to croak when maximum memory is used. There's nothing unusual in the memory and swap utilization that you are describing. Here's some good information on the general subject:

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2007/10/0...w-to-fix-that/

Comment

Actually Vista too loads and stores a lot of things into memory. Many were yelling about it when Vista first came out thinking of it as bloat - much like seen in here.

OP: If you're not using the memory, why do you want it flushed? next time you load Firefox, it hopefully won't hit the HDD as often as it's cached in RAM. If you launch a big program that requires more RAM, the OS will intelligently clear space for the running program.

Comment

when i wrote this i was running kde3, and now i am running kde4,
        I have noticed my memory is always low and refreshed much better.
        my kde3 loads were as high as 1300 mb's and would go down a little.
        on kde4 my loads are average 275 and when i use programs it goes up but as soon as i leave them, it drops back down.
        I am very pleased with kde4, though a little buggy, lol

Comment

Working...
        X