This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't get rid of "scim" icon in system tray

since first beta was released recently, I booted into my kde4 alpha6 installation and run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-kde4-desktop
    now I got this strange "scim" icon in system tray and it keeps reappearing no matter how many times I right-click and choose "exit"

#edit: I'm not sure how I installed scim, but removing it solved the issue to me + it's definitely not in kubuntu-kde4-desktop package list

#2nd edit: it is in kubuntu-kde4-desktop metapackage list :-X

Re: can't get rid of "scim" icon in system tray

Same problem. I read the SCIM Website (http://www.scim-im.org/projects/skim) and still have no idea what it does... something to do with international typing or something? If this is non-essential I'll be glad to be rid of it.

I did find a way to turn off the system tray icon, though: right click the icon, choose settings, and under GTK Panel in the bottom right hand corner there's a little box that says system tray icon. Uncheck it, click apply, then quit. It is probablt still running in the background, though... what is this thing?

Comment

Re: can't get rid of "scim" icon in system tray

I removed it and had to find that I had to reinstall it... my system became unstable and sluggish. Not sure why, as by reading the SCIM website, it seems totally unnecessary for me to have it on my computer.

At least your post helped me get rid of the icon. Sometimes 3 would load and it was kind of annoying.

Comment

Working...
      X