X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beta release notes re Kubuntu KDE 4 Remix

I have just read them and remain in my usual confused state
    With Dapper I have been used to getting a little red triangle notifying me that updates are available and when I click on it they are delivered.
    From the release note I get the impression that this may not happen with the "remix" and that, perhaps, some other method will be used.
    Any more information about this would be appreciated.
    Also the release notes go on to show many screenshots but I am not clear as to whether all these features are in both versions or just one; and which one?
    Thanks.

(EDIT)
    there are a couple of questions about this beta on /.
    http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.p...8&cid=22819248

One
    by cerelib (903469) on Friday March 21, @10:45AM (#22819172)

As I understand it, there will be 2 versions Kubuntu 8.04 and Kubuntu KDE 4 Remix 8.04. The vanilla version has the standard support lifetime with updates and you can purchase support from Canonical, basically the way it has always been. The Remix version includes KDE 4 and is a bit less stable. Therefore, the Remix version does not offer official support and you need to go to the forums.

(my emphasis)
    I am not sure what the security or bug update procedure is,

that is, whether or not packages found only in Remix will receive security and bug updates. So the "commercially" supported version is the same Kubuntu as usual, but Remix is for all of those people screaming about KDE 4.

Re: beta release notes re Kubuntu KDE 4 Remix

Nothing will change with the triangle updating you in KDE4 - you'll still see/receive updates. This has more to do with what kind of support paying Canonical customers can expect.
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Working...
    X