X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 more days till beta

So... How's the latest alpha going?

I'm really looking forward to trying HH and am wondering if the beta is going to be bug free enough for a relative noob? Any one care to comment, feedback?
    [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Re: 2 more days till beta

I have been using HH since alpha 2 and 90% of the time in kde4 since its release. I have almost forgot what kde3 looks like
    I have not encountered any biggies except for one, which was luckily posted here before I did a upgrade.

For me it is solid enough and can only get better.

Just check the forums before jumping into any upgrades and you should be fine.

Good luck and welcome to the party
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Beta release notes: HardyHeron/Beta/Kubuntu and more of Hardy: Hardy Release Schedule, Plans, Artwork, Release Notes, Screenshots and Upgrading
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

If you are a newbie, wait for the stable release and use Gutsy until then. Havint the bleeding edge stuff can be as frustrating as it's fun, and the more newbie you are, the more it tends to be on the frustrating side of the scales.

That said, the various pre-release versions are usually quite good, but are you really in that much hurry? It's just a month away.

Comment

Originally posted by Troberg
          If you are a newbie, wait for the stable release and use Gutsy until then. Havint the bleeding edge stuff can be as frustrating as it's fun, and the more newbie you are, the more it tends to be on the frustrating side of the scales.

That said, the various pre-release versions are usually quite good, but are you really in that much hurry? It's just a month away.
          if you got big enough hard drive, create additional 7-10GB partition for testing purposes.

Comment

if you got big enough hard drive, create additional 7-10GB partition for testing purposes.
            Or, even easier, install VirtualBox or some other virtualization software and try it there. That's how I do it. I even try major uppgrades on a virtual installation before I roll them out on the real machines.

Comment

I'd say its every bit as stable as gutsy, perhaps even more so. I would stay away from kde 4.0 and firefox 3.0. Both are buggy and not fully functional. Firefox 3.0.5 still has the problem of blacking out pictures on webpages when either using larger fonts or zooming on a page. I find kde 3.5.9 actually better on hardy.

Comment

I agree with crossface on KDE4; It's not done yet. I wouldn't run it as my primary desktop unless I was writing apps for it. I've managed to crash it several times, which I also do with Compiz on 3.5.9... but Compiz is easier to restart.

I've only had one problem with Firefox 3.0, which was easily fixed. The client area of FF3 would jitter up and down by one pixel. I finally figured out that it was caused by the bookmarks item on the task bar - right-click removing it eliminated the jitter.

-J
                Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

I'm having real good luck with HH and also FF3. I'm also using KDE4, but I agree there are occasional bugs with it. This morning the Alt-F2 function died, for no obvious reason. Also, FF3 seems to lose the ability to show flash at random times (of course on 64-bit, flash comes and goes like the weather, anyway )

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1

I've only had one problem with Firefox 3.0, which was easily fixed. The client area of FF3 would jitter up and down by one pixel. I finally figured out that it was caused by the bookmarks item on the task bar - right-click removing it eliminated the jitter.

-J
                    Are you saying you had to remove the bookmarks toolbar? that's my favorite part, I remove the titles and have all the different Icons for sites I frequent.
                    [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X