X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 8.04 kde4 install; get login screen, but bails back to login

I assume you have installed kdm-kde4?

I wonder if there's some issue with your video driver? It doesn't sound logical that it would work with KDE3 but not KDE4, but funny things sometimes happen. Can you configure a VESA driver in the CLI and then do "sudo /etc/init.d/kdm-kde4 start"? If it runs, you'll know it has to something do with the video driver.

Sorry I can't be more helpful -- just tossing out possibilities here .... :P

Comment

Thanks... I'll give this a try... sounds like a good diagnostic test anyway.

Comment

Is there a way to load KDE4 and get debug output, so we know maybe why it's stopping?

Comment

I asked that a while ago, perhaps in a different post.... no answer. It would be nice to have something spit out the error.

Comment

How did you change the driver to vesa? is there any other generic driver to try?

Comment

I don't think you get a debug output until you get a crash. And you don't get a crash until you get a program to load in the first place. :P

To configure a VESA display, there are about 3 main steps:

1. Open the Konsole or at a CLI (text mode terminal) enter
              Code:
              sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
              2. On the first question, answer "no" to autodetect, and on the second question, choose "vesa" as the display type. Accept the defaults until you get to the monitor section, there you put an "x" in the best resolution that you can choose (and only one). Set the vertical and horizontal refresh rates as your CRT or LCD specs allow. When the script finishes, you are dumped back to the CLI.

3. Enter
              Code:
              startx
              to run your VESA GUI desktop. From here you can install or run Firefox, download Envy, or whatever you need to do to get a better video driver set up.

Comment

I tried what you said:

Code:
                sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
                But the only thing it asked me about to do with video was if I wanted to use frambuffer or not. then the rest of the questions were just about my keyboard layout. nothing like refresh rate or video driver or anything.

I tried running
                Code:
                startx
                anyway which just did the same as it did previously.

Is there something else I may need to configure first?

Comment

Just tried the latest version of the KDE4 live CD (remix), and it does exactly the same thing as the beta... it just cycles the splash and tries to restart. I am getting the same problem as before where it goes to the "K" on splash, freezes, flickers, and tries to start over, motherboard is a K8V-VM (chrome 9 video in K8M890 chipset). I am thinking it is a hardware/video issue with this motherboard.

It does this using the openchrome and vesa driver after it is "installed" but in recovery mode, if kubuntu-desktop (kde3) is installed, the desktop runs fine.

It is NOT a permissions issue... KDE4 will run in KDE3 using xephyr (as the installed user). I also created a user "root" with root permissions and tried to log into KDE4 from kdm and same deal.

Yes, kdm-kde4 is the log in greeter.

I am fairly sure this is some sort of bug with some package/setting in the KDE4 desktop (plasma?) that does not "like" the chrome 9 integrated graphics. Desktop effects are not enabled (used failasafe, navigated to /usr/lib/kde4/bin to launch systemsettings to see if I could find some sort of workaround.

Xorg.conf looks okay with max resolution being that of my monitor's native resolution, and again, runs KDE3 just fine.

Should I or someone else file a bug?

This has happened with 2 versions of the live CD, and a hard install.

Comment

I tried the live CD too and it also fails in the same way.

Then I tried the live CD in another computer of mine and it worked fine (nvidia geforce 8600GT)

I've got a lot of computers with a lot of different graphics cards I could try, but this looks to me like it's an issue with the Chrome cards (I've got a couple of other VIA boards with IGP (Savage 4 and Blade 3D) I think I'll try the live CD on, and some others like ATi, SiS, Intel etc

Lets see what works and what doesn't ... I have a feeling it may only be the VIA that gives trouble..

Comment

It works fine even with my cheap-o sis graphics card in my acer laptop and the intel chip that is in my asus eeepc sub notebook.

It really is the chrome 9 cards and replacing the driver file with vesa doesn't solve the issue.

Comment

Might be helpful: How-to: VIA K8M890 Chrome 9 IGP and Linux’s Xorg - Ubuntu Edgy 6.10

Yes, it's for Edgy, but it may hold some insight on your issue.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I fixed this in KDE4 by removing compiz "apt-get remove compiz-core" it was conflicting with my Nvidia card, on the Ubuntu forum I posted this & it fixed the problem for someone with a ATI card as well! It might not be hardware related but is known to fix Gnome & KDE4 logon problems.

Cary
                          The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

But we're using VIA graphics, and besides, I've tested it on the list below with no problem on all except the chrome 9:

Chrome 9 IGP in VIA K8M890 ----------- FAIL
                            Nvidia Geforce 8600GT ----------------- PASS
                            ATi Radeon 9600XT Bravo ------------- PASS
                            Intel i740 ----------------------------- PASS
                            Trident Blade 3D in VIA MVP4/VT8501 -- PASS

I'll try removing that compiz but I don't think it will work...

edit: just tried removing compiz-core, I was told that it was not installed

Comment

I posted a new topic under hardware regarding specifically the Via Chrome 9 video chip:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3093233.0

It is a bug within KDE4. It has to be, as NO ONE seems to be able to run Kubuntu-KDE4 Hardy with this piece of hardware. The reply previous this one is very telling.

Comment

I think it is a bug in the driver that comes with 8.04 (or that it's being used incorrectly or not being used at all etc)

I compiled the driver (which VIA themselves wrote) from the following link (and while it doesn't run as smooth as the windows ones - it DOES WORK!)

Originally posted by Snowhog
                                Might be helpful: How-to: VIA K8M890 Chrome 9 IGP and Linux’s Xorg - Ubuntu Edgy 6.10

Yes, it's for Edgy, but it may hold some insight on your issue.
                                I also found this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e4/+bug/182599

Probably what is going on is that KDE4 is attempting to use acceleration
                                features that are either unsupported or badly supported by the Unichrome chip. What KDE4 is doing
                                is probably perfectly OK with a real graphics card. Hopefully whatever KDE4 is doing can be
                                isolated before it is fixed, as there are actually a lot of problems with these X drivers (and/or
                                the underlying hardware), and this one is reproducible.
                                it is known that KDE 4 is utilizing some bits that do in fact need to be fixed by the X developers eventually. Last I heard is that KDE will not go back on changing these bits because it is something that X will need to fix anyways in the future

Comment

Working...
                                X