This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.04 kde4 install; get login screen, but bails back to login

I used the latest KDE4 install cd (alpha 6). On one computer, the live CD worked, but on another, the login splash bails back to the beginning once it gets to the "K"

I installed it from the boot menu anyway, and it did the same thing except it went back to the login screen. I used "failsafe" installed kubuntu-desktop (KDE3) and it works fine. I changed xorg from using "vesa" to "openchrome" and KDE3 works wonderfully.

I can run KDE4 within KDE3 using...
    #Xephyr :1 & export DISPLAY=:1; xterm

then within there...
    #/usr/lib/kde4/bin/
    #./startkde

So where do I start to find the issue(s), as obviously my xorg.conf gets me to the kdm-kde4 so I guess it is not that?

I tried playing around with the desktop effects settings within Xephyr and then exiting there and then logging out of KDE3 and back on as KDE4 and it does the same thing.

Re: 8.04 kde4 install; get login screen, but bails back to login

I have the exact same problem. I tried removing .kde and .kde4 like someone suggested but didn't work. Any ideas?

Comment

try to find in /etc/ a file name kde4rc
      if it is here, delete it.

then relog

Comment

Hi, that didn't work, but I fixed by deleting a file named ICEauthority located in the home directory. Thanks anyway. Solved for me.
        maestrobwh1 was it solved for you? I'm also using a Hardy alpha.

Comment

I'll try it when i get home and will post back.

I had actually thought about that and actually looked in all the hidden /home/user/ files that were "profile" oreinted. I should have looked at .iceathority and on a hunch... I am thinking now that it will do the trick. DamnSmallLinux used a similarly named file like that and if I could not get into the desktop (fluxbox), it was generally that file that had been set incorrectly when I logged out.

Comment

It just happened to me again, I was locked out of KDE4 a couple of minutes ago, I removed that file for the second time and it worked, so I can confirm it

Comment

Actually, the iceauthority file was not the issue for me. I forgot to try to look at kde4rc in /etc next. I moved iceauthority and the only thing that seemed to happen is that firefox lost its ability to read the stored profiles in kde3. A new iceauthority file was created, so I moved the old one over it and logged in again and everything in kde3 works fine, but kde still hangs at the "K" of the spash screen then goes back to the login/greeting screen.

Again, the live cd did this too, but does not do this on my other computer...

It had tried to load the vesa driver from the live cd, rather than the openchrome driver, so I fixed that thinking that KDE4 needed more advanced graphics, but that is fixed: and I think I am wrong on that thought because it works fine in the Xephyr xterm on the KDE3 desktop.

Comment

Then it's a different problem, when it happens to me, I never get to see the K, it happens on the previous step.

Comment

I am still having this issue... and that it where it locks. I never get to see the K on the splash screen and then it hangs for several seconds... then goes back to login.

The login greeter is "oxygen" themed [kdm-kde4] so it is managing to pull off some of the kde4 stuff. I can log in to KDE3 just fine.

The motherboard is an ASUS A8V-VM with one of those via graphics cards. I got the openchrome driver loaded in working in KDE3, and I deleted all the suggested files in this post at one point or another, and I still have issues. I even deleted /home/username/.kde4. Still an issue and when I logged back into KDE3, these files and directories were replaced with new ones, but obviously with some misconfigured file.

Again, I can run KDE4 in KDE3 with xterm and xephyr.

Comment

Maybe there's some help down this thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4389#msg124389

Comment

I am getting the same problem, motherboard is a K8V-VM (chrome 9 video in K8M890 chipset)

I'm thinking that the problem is the video drivers, how can I reconfigure to use a generic basic driver etc?

the last 'K' icon on loading screen fades in maybe halfway, then screen goes black, and I go straight back to the login screen.

I tried removing .kde and .kde4 in home dir, no change.

If I try to login with KDE4 and then try to login with console I get a screen full of corruption, which is why I am suspecting the driver.

How do I change/reinstall/reconfigure the driver?

Comment

Im having the same problem... Select KDE 4 from KDM.... login.... it gets all the way into seeing the desktop, all pretty and everything, and then BLAMMO, right back to the login screen.

Im running an older Dell 850 with onboard intel video. I dont think its the video drivers because KDE4 ran fine on this box running Fedora 9 Alpha (with an older kernel)...

I'm not switching back to Fedora, and I'm not going to go through my system deleting things and setting permissions, so I think I'll just wait for Kubuntu to fix this one..

Looks to me like a bug.... They'll get it Im sure..... But if not, If anyone finds the magic SIMPLE fix for this one, I'm all ears!
                        Its not the kill, its the thrill of the chase... - Ian Gillan

Comment

I definitely think this is a hardware issue, as using synaptic, I used the "completely remove" option on kde4 specific packages, then I opened gktorphan, to make sure they were all gone, then I went back to synaptic to check the one option were you can purge configuration files, then I opened Krusader in root mode and deleted anything that was a KDE4 directory out of /usr/lib, /etc and /home

I reinstalled the kubuntu-desktop-kde4 package.

Still bails at "K" on splash, screen goes black, then back to kdm (kde4 version).

I have the newest kubuntu kde4 packages on another desktop and laptop and there was never this issue. I think it suspicious that it would be anything other than a hardware issue, considering Agent24 and I are having the same problem with the same board/integrated graphics card, and with the same install CD, I didn't have the issue on two other computers.

My recall, if I change the driver to vesa, I get an xorg error and X won't load.

Originally posted by Agent24
                          I am getting the same problem, motherboard is a K8V-VM (chrome 9 video in K8M890 chipset)

I'm thinking that the problem is the video drivers, how can I reconfigure to use a generic basic driver etc?

the last 'K' icon on loading screen fades in maybe halfway, then screen goes black, and I go straight back to the login screen.

I tried removing .kde and .kde4 in home dir, no change.

If I try to login with KDE4 and then try to login with console I get a screen full of corruption, which is why I am suspecting the driver.

How do I change/reinstall/reconfigure the driver?

Comment

I think it's probably one of the four causes listed on that other thread.

Is this KDE3 or KDE4?

If you delete the applicable .kde or .kde4 hidden folder in your home directory and then restart the X server (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) it might fix it. But, you will lose all the "settings" for your desktop.

It is also possible that your Clonezilla installation could have caused this, if you were working as "root" on a downloaded file on your desktop or home folder.

Comment

It wasn't a re-cloned partition - it was a fresh install from CD. I have used clonezilla for over 3 years and have never had a permissions issue with it.

Deleted the .kde4 hidden folder and rebooted. Folder is recreated as expected.

I installed kubuntu-desktop-kde3 because kde4 would not log in. KDE3 is fine. No issues. Did a recursive chmod 777 as root to the whole home as another attempt to absolutely be sure it was not permissions. it isn't. The whole screen flickers harshly then it goes back to kdm... it isn't like it is logging out and the screen just goes gently dark. Something is happening with the xserver and some setting kin kde4.

Comment

Working...
                              X