This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knetworkmanager makes me want to jump off a bridge SOLVED

Clean install of latest 8.04 -6. Working fine including wireless network via KNetworkmanager.

After a cold restart of the computer, KNetworkmanager does it's usual thing: It is no longer working.

I did everything: system Settings, manual settings Knetworkmanager, ifconfig, iwconfig, iwlist, command line dhclien, resolv.conf, interfaces, I did it all. No success. No wireless!

Normally I get rid of KNwetorkmanager right after install of an OS. Did not this time. Now I cannot replace it with wicd which always works.
    Unmet dependencies that I cannot meet because of lack of Internet connection.

I believe there is a way of using the alternate install CD to get some of the dependencies.

Is there any other way?

I have the actual application wicd on my computer. Only dependencies are missing, mainly python stuff/libraries.

KNetworkmanager has let me down in every single Kubuntu incarnation from Dapper drake onward. It always works the first time and refuses to perform after a reboot.

Any suggestions to resolve this matter and to get wicd working?
    Thanks.

Re: Knetworkmanager makes me want to jump off a bridge

What does your /etc/network/interfaces file look like?  Hardy's version of KNetworkManager seems to be kinda' finnicky when it comes to this config - it won't seem to work if there's anything in it other than the following:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    I tried modifying mine to include wlan0, and lost my wifi connection until I removed it   If you remove everything from the file except the above, and restart Xorg, does KNetworkManager detect any wireless signals from your router?

(Also, hooking your computer straight to an ethernel line will usually allow you to connect to the internet when you're having wireless issues)
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Re: Knetworkmanager makes me want to jump off a bridge

I, unfortunately, have no insight on the problem. But, I had to post to say: Best.. Thread... Title... Evah.

On one of my least used systems, Knetworkmanager always disconnects about 10 seconds after it first connects... when I reconnect again, it works fine. Meanwhile, I have another system running a highly modified version of Mandriva 2005LE, with the same card, that never has had a single problem. So, I've been on your bridge.

Hmmm... think I'll try integr8e's suggestion and see if that doesn't make a difference!
      Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Re: Knetworkmanager makes me want to jump off a bridge SOLVED

Thank you all for your input.

My interface file has more than the entries listed in the first reply. I did not get to test it with the modifications.

Resolved the problem by:

1. Dragging out cables and moving modem and wireless router.
        2. Hooking up to eth0 ethernet on broadband cable.
        3. Nuking KNetworkmanager, double nuking and triple nuking the thing!!
        4. Installing wicd with Synaptic, which takes care of the dependencies.

Now I am back to wireless. It is working like a charm every time I turn the computer on. Does not matter how many times or how often I cold boot.

KNetworkmanager is in my humble and uninformed opinion the worst piece of software ever devised by man. And, please, do not blame the manufacturer(s) of the wireless card for not making a driver available to Linux in some evil conspiracy against Linux.

If wicd can produce software that is simple to install, easy to set up and works reliably, why can KDE or KNetworkmanager not achieve the same?
        Does the evil conspiracy exclude wicd?

Sorry for the rant but this poor piece of software has been bugging me since Dapper Drake.

It is no longer welcome on my computer.

Comment

Re: Knetworkmanager makes me want to jump off a bridge SOLVED

Thanks for the rant! Seriously.

I'm thinking about trying wicd myself, after reading what you and PJJ have said. I'm about to replace the old Mandriva box powering my arcade cabinet http://www.eternaldusk.com/arcadecabinet.html, so it's the perfect opportunity.

I need something that can login to the wifi network at bootup (since the cabinet never starts X/KDM), and KNetworkmanager just doesn't seem capable of doing that: the rt2500-based wireless doesn't even show up as a device when I go to manual config.

The cabinet runs my DHCP/DNS/CUPS/HTTP/Freepop, etc. servers (hey, why not - since I have it running in attract-mode all the time), so I need it to connect automagically after a power loss/cycle.
          Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Working...
          X