This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox vs. Opera

Firefox just will not open - version 2 or 3 - just bumping the icon for some seconds, and dies. Remove, reinstall, no wway.

So I found Opera for Gutsy. The last time I tried Opera it was so overloaded with functions I never needed, so I gave it up.

Now it looks very nice, clean, and so far it seems quicker than Firefox. Maybe it handles muliple windows better? The KDE Wallet works also.

Re: Firefox vs. Opera

In my opinion Firefox Rules! and I tried opera but I don't like the feel of it
    I will not take any responsability if you PC explodes in my helping process

Comment

Installing Firefox from package manager should be smooth in my experience.

Both Firefox and Opera has their pro and cons. In my testing, I noticed browsing with Opera is faster than Firefox. Opera's interface is cleaner and more elegant too.

However I just don't know why I'm reverting back to Firefox. My Opera is now sitting like a duck, just in case I missed it later

Comment

from a long time opera user: it's a great browser, very fast, but to me firefox handles plugin content better and is a bit more stable. it is however easier on the resources (only on rare occasions the pluginwrapper or plugincleaner go mad and cause serious cpu spikes)

to solve your firefox problem: type in a console firefox (or firefox-2) and look at the error messages displayed

Comment

Originally posted by musta ruhtinas
          from a long time opera user: it's a great browser, very fast, but to me firefox handles plugin content better and is a bit more stable. it is however easier on the resources (only on rare occasions the pluginwrapper or plugincleaner go mad and cause serious cpu spikes)
          Just to get this straight: in your opinion Firefox is easier on the resources than Opera?
          Do not understimate fools. Better ones are born all the time and Microsoft is hiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Bondi007
            I have used both side-by-side even before I switched from XP to Kubuntu. I like the look and feel of Opera over Firefox or IE. But Firefox wins the the standards war. There are still banking and investment sites I use that will only work on IE5=> and Firefox 1.5=> so my everyday browser is Opera and my backup is Firefox.

This being said, if you prefer the look and feel of Firefox over Opera then Firefox will do everything you need it to do. Unfortunately for me, I prefer Opera even though I need to keep Firefox in the bullpen.
            Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Comment

Originally posted by musta ruhtinas

to solve your firefox problem: type in a console firefox (or firefox-2) and look at the error messages displayed

Not much:

nils1@nils1-desktop:~$ firefox
              nils1@nils1-desktop:~$

Comment

Originally posted by Bondi007
                It's been many years since I tried Opera. Back then it was cluttered with all kinds of things I did not like. Today - I might be one of those using differnt for different things. At the moment, well I like Opera better than Konqueror, anyway. But the equivalent for plug-ins seems very different from what I use. Maybe I will find what I am looking for, thogh.

Comment

I am a long time Opera user as well. There are times when I have to use one of the other browsers though. For example, with zero configuration konqueror is able to display web videos that are windows media based or quicktime based. Firefox works better with some webpages. So there are times when I pull one of the other browsers out of the toolbox.

Here's where I differ from some on using Opera and why I continue to use it despite these annoyances. I don't blame Opera for a webpage not displaying correctly. Nor do I blame Opera for a web developer choosing to use a proprietary format for the video content. I, for the most part, hold those who are writing the webpages accountable. Opera, in my opinion, handles the standards better, with faster speeds at the same time.

Mike

(Full disclosure: I actually purchased a license for Opera 6.0)
                  http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!!!!

I got curious and did some Googling after my post above. I was intrigued by IceWeasel and SwiftWeasel. I was impressed by the idea of SwiftWeasel: a processor-optimized Mozilla-based browser. I just had to try it, so I used the instructions at http://swiftweasel.tuxfamily.org/wik...php5?title=Apt to add the repository and installed the version for my P3M. My first impression is that it is a lot faster than Firefox or Opera. Plus it solved an ongoing problem I had with the Flash plug-in that I never solved in Opera or Firefox.

We shall see what the long term results are, but if you are considering Firefox give it a try.

And if you are already using Firefox you should think about trying it. You will be pleased to know it automatically recognizes (at least in my case) all your existing bookmarks and plugins.
                    Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Comment

Originally posted by kortsen
                      STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!!!!

I got curious and did some Googling after my post above. I was intrigued by IceWeasel and SwiftWeasel. I was impressed by the idea of SwiftWeasel: a processor-optimized Mozilla-based browser. I just had to try it, so I used the instructions at http://swiftweasel.tuxfamily.org/wik...php5?title=Apt to add the repository and installed the version for my P3M. My first impression is that it is a lot faster than Firefox or Opera. Plus it solved an ongoing problem I had with the Flash plug-in that I never solved in Opera or Firefox.

We shall see what the long term results are, but if you are considering Firefox give it a try.

And if you are already using Firefox you should think about trying it. You will be pleased to know it automatically recognizes (at least in my case) all your existing bookmarks and plugins.
                      yeah, but does it support firefox plugins? I need foxmarks! I might be installing it on a 900mhz 512ram edubuntu build for a friends kid though. Does it work on all the sites firefox does>?, w/ flash etc.
                      [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

Just for comarison sake have a look here:
                        http://cybernetnews.com/2008/02/25/f...-gets-a-boost/

Test your browsers

By the way Konqueror will crash with this test so leave that alone.

@Korsten:
                        Which line did you put into your sources.lst?
                        This does not work:
                        deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/swiftweasel gutsy multiverse

nor this:
                        deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/swiftweasel/ gutsy multiverse

nor this:
                        deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/swiftweasel/ubuntu gutsy multiverse

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                          Which line did you put into your sources.lst?
                          This deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/swiftweasel gutsy multiverse does not work:

That is exactly what I added to Synaptic and it worked for me.

Originally posted by RJ Hythloday
                          yeah, but does it support firefox plugins? I need foxmarks! I might be installing it on a 900mhz 512ram edubuntu build for a friends kid though. Does it work on all the sites firefox does>?, w/ flash etc.
                          It claims to support all the plug-ins. I haven't tested it thoroughly yet. It does work on every site I have tried so far. And as mentioned above, Flash works for me now, which didn't work in Firefox or Opera.

Comment

Originally posted by nem
                            Just to get this straight: in your opinion Firefox is easier on the resources than Opera?
                            oops, sorry; i meant opera is easier on resources

@nilsA: strange thing, no output at all

hmm, guess i'll give swiftweasel a try as well

Comment

Sorry that was a type on my part
                              works sort of.
                              It gives me swiftdove (thunderbird) in GG. :P :P

I'll try it in HH and see what happens there, but it shouldn't change anything. This is a GG repo.

Edit: Yep I am getting swiftdove in HH as well.
                              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                              X