This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDEnlive chrashing

KDEnlive is pretty close to the video editing programs I have used, so I hope to be able to use it.

However, it keeps chrashing when I delete cuts. Error message:

Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1
    Anything I can do about this?

Re: KDEnlive chrashing

could you explain in detail to see if i can reproduce the bug ?

Comment

Well, it's not a 100% repeatable thing, but most of the tim:

Drag in two files. I've tried .dv .mp2 and .vob.

Drag the first into Track 0.< Split clip> - find the place in the file to start, then klick to split.
      Choose the first part with <Move and Resize> or right-click it.
      Delete. Then delete the empty space.

Drag clip 2 into Track 0 (after the first) or into Track 1.

Repeat the process to find where to stop, clip, and delete the rear part.

KDEnlive then most of the time just die.

Perhaps I should add that what I am trying to do, is re-edit a DVD I made some time ago. Therefore I need to split the .vob files into chapters, and join some of these chapters that spans two .vob files. As indicated, I have tried to just rename from .vob to .mpg, I have recoded using both VLC player and Avidemux, and I have used Kino to make .dv files.

The PC is an old dual Pentium III 700mHz (x2), 512 MB RAM, Gainward GeForce 6800LE 128MB DDR, glx new driver.

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA

512MB RAM
        I'll speculate that you are asking too much of the old P-III, and its half-Gig of memory.

Kdenlive is a pretty cutting-edge video editor -- I started to use it a little bit last year, got frustrated and busy with other stuff, and haven't gotten back to it (I don't know the basics about video editing ...). But Kdenlive was just then becoming available for *buntu. So, you have put a cutting edge heavy-duty video editor on a ... "legacy" type PC, and hit it with a memory-intensive task. It's probably too tough to do on that PC. :P

To check out my theory, you could run
        Code:
        in a Konsole window (minimize it while you get Kdenlive running and loaded with a video) and then check top and see what the memory situation is.

Comment

I agree with Dibl. I've used KDEnlive and it did great, but that was on a PIV-HT 3GHz with 1GB RAM. Even at that it was comparable to Roxio on XP. They were evenly matched. I have a PIII w/512MB machine. I'll see how it does there.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
            I agree with Dibl. I've used KDEnlive and it did great, but that was on a PIV-HT 3GHz with 1GB RAM. Even at that it was comparable to Roxio on XP. They were evenly matched. I have a PIII w/512MB machine. I'll see how it does there.
            Yes it is pretty little memory, but it's the same PC where I edited the 90 minutes video - only then with 128 MB, and the program did not support double Pentiums. The program, Edit DV (at that time used for semi professional work in some TV stations) never had a breakdown, the preview was better than KDEnlive - two frames, but it was horrendously slow at rendering and some other things. The only thing better (from the pov of making a video) in KDEnlive is the way it is possible to follow the kutter "knife" very precisely.

Well, another 512 MB is in the mail somewhere. But it is a little worrying, though. Windows just got veeeeery slow, nicely using swap space on the hard disk.

I had some 15472 k free when running KDEnlive - but only a little part of the swap-file in use. (1510068k total and 137984k used.

Could this in any way bew related to the start-up slowness I see? I did start in safe mode, and there seemed to be some problem with the second disk - which holds all the Kubuntu files.

Comment

Anyone have any luck editing .MTS with it? That is an automatic crash for me, even though I read it had "experimental" support...

Comment

Some follow up here - I now have tripled the RAM to 1500 mega. Nothing changed - except the speed when I do many things at the same time.

The problem I am having seems to be more or less the same with Scribus and Incscape: They will suddenly die - and Scribus even kill the file.

Inskcape and Scribus also comes in Windows versions - and don't break down at the same PC - W2000.

The one error message I have been able to see before things just go away is something about "signal 11".

KDE3 - as KDE4 is useless for me at the moment.

Comment

... and then I am in KDE4, more or less happily editing video.

Comment

Huh! What changed? "Sig 11" is usually a hard crash of an application (just as you reported before).

But now you are running Kdenlive on KDE4? I ran it one time, when I saw your original post, and it does run OK here. Maybe there is some improvement in KDM KDE4 or something that supports Kdenlive better.

Comment

Working...
                    X