X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Synaptic Woes

Originally posted by dibl
    Yikes -- I just saw the list of today's updates, in Adept Manager!

compiz-everything, plus lots more --

Gulp.

OK, I clicked "Apply" -- crossing fingers and toes here.
    The length of time between when you posted this and now leads me to believe that the crossing of the fingers and toes was an ineffective safety measure.

Is Kubuntu still breathing?

Kev

Comment

heh heh heh

Good news -- turns out you can save a system by crossing your fingers and toes!

I rebooted it after the updates were done, and it came right back up in good order. There seems to be some kind of delay that happens between the login "bell" and the completion of the KDE4 launch -- I get to watch a bouncing gear for perhaps 30 seconds, and then the music plays and the KDE4 message pops up. I dunno -- doesn't seem to be a harmful thing.

Actually, I hadn't seen all of the updates when I wrote that last night -- this morning there was a whole 'nother list of them, even longer than last night's list, so I "applied" them too. But I just put it into "suspend to RAM" when I left for work this morning -- maybe I'll screw up my courage to reboot it again tonight.

Comment

So did Adept actually finish the job? Or did you use Apt-Get?

Kev

Comment

Adept finished, kinda-sorta, meaning there were no packages held up or broken, but the blue "Upgrade" button did stay lit up last night, which is not an unusual observation. This morning when I ran it, Adept really did finish, with no "Upgrade" light showing. I think there must be some "back end" process on the repo mirrors where it allows "partial" package sets to be released, even while the rest of an upgrade set is still coming across from the source repo. Just my idle speculation, but it explains the observation.

Comment

I think there must be some "back end" process on the repo mirrors where it allows "partial" package sets to be released, even while the rest of an upgrade set is still coming across from the source repo. Just my idle speculation, but it explains the observation.
            I've been wondering how that would work. It doesn't seem like it would be a problem with a small update.. but some of these have been huge. I've been wondering what happens in the middle of updating the repo when someone requests an update.

I now know that they better have their fingers and toes crossed or things are gonna get ugly.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo5HH

I now know that they better have their fingers and toes crossed or things are gonna get ugly.
              You can also say a chant to the little monkey-god.

Seriously, are you running KDE4 and seeing this delayed launch thing?

Comment

I get a little tiny delay, probably 5-7 seconds. Not the 30 like you have.

My synaptic and adept still will not finish anything they start. Apt-Get is the only way for me to get stuff properly.. and I don't know all the apt-get commands. Doh!

Kev

Comment

man apt-get
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Knocking on wood -- I used Adept Manager yesterday to update/upgrade everything, then rebooted the system last night and everything held together just fine. Today there were a lot more upgrades, including many compiz-related updates. I ran Adept "fetch" four or five times today, and every time there more more updates. But everything still seems OK. I'll probably reboot it tomorrow sometime, just to make sure, but this Hardy Heron seems less fragile than I recall Gutsy being, when it was in the Alpha stage of development.

Comment

Knocking on wood -- I used Adept Manager yesterday to update/upgrade everything, then rebooted the system last night and everything held together just fine. Today there were a lot more upgrades, including many compiz-related updates. I ran Adept "fetch" four or five times today, and every time there more more updates. But everything still seems OK. I'll probably reboot it tomorrow sometime, just to make sure, but this Hardy Heron seems less fragile than I recall Gutsy being, when it was in the Alpha stage of development.
                      Recently (last week) it started to get strong. And ya Gutsy was still a complete mess at this stage. So that's a good sign for us!

Kev

Comment

Working...
                      X