Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 3.0 Beta - pictures on website not displaying.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 3.0 Beta - pictures on website not displaying.

I happened to go to a web page that has been around for a long time. It has text and pictures. the pictures do no longer display. Instead, there is a black field.

Talked to support for server. Nothing wrong with the server. checked all permissions. They are all correct.

Tested the page in 7.10, Firefox. Pictures display.

Is there a bug with either Firefox or in the latest update to 8.04? Does anyone know?
    I did not have a display problem with Firefox before.
    Konqueror also display the pictures correctly.

Any ideas, anyone?

Re: Firefox 3.0 Beta - pictures on website not displaying.

Can you post the URL of the page you are trying to view?

Comment

Is there a bug with either Firefox or in the latest update to 8.04? Does anyone know?
      I did not have a display problem with Firefox before.
      Konqueror also display the pictures correctly.
      At least your FF 3b.3 starts up. Mine doesn't.
      HH being alfa and FF beta3 maybe there is some room for patience
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I installed FF 3 last night, and that was the last I've seen of Flash ....

Basically it seems to work pretty well and picked up all my prior bookmarks and configuration. And I don't see it hesitating and turning gray on me, like the prior version was doing.

I'm sure the devs are working on it -- I knew it was dangerous when I installed it.

Comment

I installed flash from the Adobe site, the tar.gz file, and it's working perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
            I installed flash from the Adobe site, the tar.gz file, and it's working perfectly.
            64-bit?

Comment

No, 32 bit. Sorry.

Comment

I just upgraded to firefox 3, through adept-updater

Flash worked right away - tested some youtube videos, no problem.

Some sites did get goofy - multiple windows/shadows/repeated frames.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2008/02/12/b...ress-be-happy/

is one that freaked the browser out. lots of artifacts at different positions.

The main text block was unaffected, but the side images/frames contained multiple artifacts of the same website, plus other windows from my desktop.

Attached Files

Comment

Here is the website that gives me problems:
                  http://cbears.net/WindsorWeb/WindsorPage1.htm

The text displays; pictures are just black spaces.

However, Konqueror now displays the pictures. And the support people also can see them.
                  Going back to Kubuntu 7.10, which I have installed and run for business, and the previous version of FF: Pictures display.

Today's upgrade did not change anything.

There are a great number of files that apt-get suggests to remove. Maybe one of them causes the problem. But I hesitate just to remove them. Bad previous experiences with file removal - even if they are supposedly no longer used.

Comment

I saw some "black" pictures too. It might be because of some manipulations in the webpage.

I was able to get some pictures to display, but some also didn't. In some cases, clicking on the image itself launched a different version of the picture - not manipulated - which showed fine.

javascript problems in firefox? firefox 3 in windows doesn't have any major problems for me.

Comment

I just want my Old FF 2 back with all its extensions. I don't like the fact that HH just replaces FF2 with FF3beta. Cutting edge, alpha or not.
                      I do not agree.
                      As long as I have to work with my computer I want to be able to choose which app I want to use and when I want to replace it. Especially since FF3 is a long way from being final.

Kubuntu, please don't open that door.
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I rather like FF3 so far.

Flash works for me, though the flash apps on some pages (like music on MySpace) do occassionally fail and just show a gray box until I reload the page or reload the browser.

I'm sorry to hear you're not having as much luck with it Fintan. But, you're not forced to run FF3 - just uninstall the package and manually install FF2.
                        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

I understand what you are saying Fintan.

Firefox 3, as good as it might be, is still beta - and looks to be that way well past the April release date of HH.

So the Kubuntu team has decided that beta software is good enough to push in a final release?

with the low [?] number of testers for alpha 3 and alpha 4, is there anything to be gained by forcing firefox beta 3 on everyone?

The point of alpha releases should be [to me anyway] to test the release with known good packages, so that the bugs can be assigned a specific category.

Are these FF bugs related to HH or to firefox? Is this an efficient use of testing time? Is anything useful going to be gained, even though ff3 will be updated probaby several more times even past April?

Definitely keep FF3 as an option, but forcing everyone to upgrade might have been too much. And what happens if I manually re-install ff2, and the next upgrade goes back to ff3?

Comment

So, I'm trying to install firefox 2, and there ISN'T one.

Firefox 2 has been assimilated into firefox 3, and that is the only option now.

I click on the details for "firefox" in adept manager [and "firefox-3.0" gives the same description] - both of which are installed:

meta package for the popular mozilla web browser
                            Firefox 3 is the next major release of the standalone Mozilla browser; it is written in the XUL language and designed to be lightweight and cross-platform.
                            This browser was previously known as Firefox 2, Firebird and Phoenix.
                            This is a meta package that will point to the latest firefox package in ubuntu. Don't remove this if you want to receive automatic major version upgrades for this package in future.

Apparently firefox 3 is the default firefox now - meaning that [for me anyway] functionality has been reduced, since some pages don't display correctly, or images don't show up.

Interesting.

Anyway to get firefox 2 back into adept? [I imagine I could download the .deb/source from mozilla and do it manually - but what a pain.]

Comment

don't know if this helps debug anything, but here is a site I found on digg that has both problems - lots of artifacts and a black picture.

http://www.weirdasianews.com/2008/02...ake-our-women/

Comment

Working...
                              X