This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help Me Dibl,Fintan or anyone!

Did you say you have an Nvidia card? If you have installed the proprietary driver package, "nvidia-glx-new", then (after restarting the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace) you should be able to open a Konsole window and enter sudo nvidia-xconfig and it will write a new xorg.conf file for you. It won't necessarily guess your favorite screen resolution however. So to deal with that, you restart the X server again, and open Konsole (or just do Alt-F2) and enter "kdesu nvidia-settings". This will run the nvidia-settings utility in Super User mode. You can click the "X Server Display Configuration" menu item, and on that panel first click "detect displays", then set the resolution to the one you want (I would leave the refresh set at "auto"), and then click the "Save to X Configuration File" button in the lower right corner. After that your chosen resolution should be the default screen for you.

Comment

Thanks for that dibl, will try again later. yes i did install the nvidia-glx-new (remember we have been here before) my graphics card is the 7300 ge force. Isn't it a pain though. (I think that they leave the display settings on Alpha/beta to sort the wheat from the chaff, you guys can easily cope, but folks like me, we fall by the wayside)

Will report back when I have tried all that you have stated.

TG

Comment

Right dibl, after entering sudo nvidia-xconfig in a console this is what I get back

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
        Device section "Configured Video Device" must have a Driver
        line.

sh: pkg-config: not found
        sh: pkg-config: not found
        Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
        New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

So what now?

I have installed the nvidia-glx-new so can't understand this.

TG

Comment

I THINK this is Nvidia's idea of a "Success" report. :P

Give it Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and see what you get. I'll cross my fingers and toes. :P

Comment

Dibl after I enter sudo nvidia-xconfig, that's where it all goes wrong, because when i then restart, the pic on the monitor has gone and up pops the monitor 'not optimum setting' and I can't then see to do anything. The pic is there but just lines and break up and after a short while, the monitor 'opts out' so screen goes blank!
            Don't forget either that normally this wouldn't be much of a problem as I would have gone into system settings, administator mode, and set the monitor at lcd 1400 x 900, 60htz before even installing the nvidia-glx-new.

Anyways, will retire gracefully for now until such time as the Kubuntu guys re enable the display settings.

TG (defeated)

Comment

Before retiring read this.
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082808.0

Happy dreams either way
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by technogran

when i then restart, the pic on the monitor has gone and up pops the monitor 'not optimum setting' and I can't then see to do anything. The pic is there but just lines and break up and after a short while, the monitor 'opts out' so screen goes blank!
                It looks like maybe the Nvidia driver is installed correctly, but something is going wrong with detection of you LCD monitor. If you are seeing the green Nvidia splash when you start the X server, then probably this is all about the LCD refresh rate.

In your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file there's a "Monitor" stanza, and probably the correct edit there will take care of this problem. My monitor is a CRT so it has a wider refresh range -- here is what that stanza of my xorg.conf file looks like:

Code:
                Section "Monitor"
                  Identifier   "Monitor0"
                  VendorName   "Unknown"
                  ModelName   "Samsung SyncMaster"
                  HorizSync    30.0 - 130.0
                  VertRefresh   50.0 - 160.0
                  Option     "DPMS"
                EndSection
                The line that has "VertRefresh" would be very wrong for your LCD, and probably the "HorizSync" as well. If you can find the corresponding lines in your xorg.conf, and edit them to match the capabilities of your LCD, you might fix it.

Search this forum for examples of xorg.conf files for LCD monitors, and maybe you can find some clues that way, too.

Comment

I think that you have probably hit the nail on the head dibl, as I can see the screen but something is definately wrong with the monitor, either the refresh rate/ or something else as the pic is rendered virtually unreadable because of lines/breakup etc, the monitor pop up reports the wrong range, but then after say about 40 secs, just reverts to a blank screen, and so gives me no time to enter anything (if I could make it out!)

The fact that you are using a CRT explains why you haven't encountered this particular problem. Funnily enough I did have the monitor connected to the computer via DVI and this presents a workable screen, but now I have my other rig connected to the DVI and this test rig connected via the analogue (blue) connection (RGB) and it seems a whole new different ball game. As I said, if the system settings, display settings were working, I always set the monitor configuration in there, and then download the nvidia-glx-new and don't encounter this problem. This monitor will tolerate a 75mhz setting (just)

Don't worry that I will get bored, will try some of the distro's out that I haven't tried before whilst waiting for HH with all settings available, will keep my eye on you all in the meantime.

TG (any suggestions welcome!!

Comment

A little searching on Ubuntu forum turned up this, which only indicates that others are having similar problems:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=1400x900

Comment

yes dibl and I think that I also read (although unfortunately can't remember which forum/news item etc I read it from, that the very latest nvidia drivers are also causing problems for some, although I am not certain that this is what is wrong with my set up. Its as I say, because the 'System Settings, display settings are not available at the mo in the Alpha's thereby enabling me to configure the monitor to '1400 x 900 LCD, then it is obviously affecting my trying to install and set up the nvidia card.
                      I have been able to set up my rig with 'nvidia-glx-new' in the past, no problem, but I always install that after I have set up my monitor.

I do hope that it isn't a new one that they have made available that is causing it. (gulp) mind you I am not really bothered about all the wibbly windows,etc (although I do enjoy the 'breaking into little pieces' that you can set up in KDE4,) that's quite good, just don't have your sound turned up very loud when you close a window in KDE4! It makes a BBMMMM sound and nearly frightened me out of my skin when I had the sound turned up!

TG

Comment

Well Dibl, to add to the HH Alpha prob thought you would be interested to know that in Linux Mint I did a little experiment regarding testing to see if it could be the latest nvidia driver at fault. Linux mint KDE has ENVY installed by default, and I let it install the latest which is 100.14.23 for my GeForce 7300LE. As you know ENVY is ideal as it obviously only picks the right one for your particular graphics card, and it is working (so far) like a treat!

So there is more to it than meets the eye and for me I will not be able to get my display right until the monitor settings are re- enstated in HH (whenever that will be!)

My graphics card is older than yours (or not as good I think) but I have had it display and use all the fancy stuff, you know wobbly windows, etc.

Thanks as always for your help, TG

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhh -- well, that's a very nice job of troubleshooting!

But, why wouldn't Envy work the same in HH? It's the same Envy version, I assume. So, if you didn't previously download and run Envy on you HH installation, that would be my next thing to try. Get it here:

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

You want the download from the bottom right side of the little table of OS versions.

Additionally, with that knowledge (i.e. that 100.14.23 seems happy on your card & monitor combo), you could attempt a native installation of the downloaded driver, from the Nvidia site, since they keep all the archived driver versions.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_archive.html

It shows 100.14.19 -- that should be the same as the one that works on Mint.

There are instructions (unfortunately shown for Feisty, but should work for HH) on Milone's page here:

http://albertomilone.com/latest_nvidia_udsf_feisty.html

Comment

dibl thanks for that but I fear that the same would happen! Don't forget that in Linux Mint I have already been able to go into the system settings and set up my monitor for LCD 1400 x 900 Before doing the ENVY stuff. As a matter of interest to you all, the new KDE version of Mint also has Compiz- fusion on board as well!
                            And in the menu's you can choose to enable Compiz-fusion and also disable it.
                            Whoever has worked on the KDE version, I must say that they have done a very good job and seem to have included everytning by default.

So will bide my time dibl until Kubuntu 8.04 is complete with monitor settings.

TG

Comment

Originally posted by technogran

So will bide my time dibl until Kubuntu 8.04 is complete with monitor settings.

TG

Probably a wise approach.

Here's one final "late-breaking" notion. On my HH attempts over the past weekend, the "nvidia-glx-new" packaged driver worked great, but it is ver. 169.09 and as you say I have a new card. But, I'm thinking the "nvidia-glx" package MIGHT have the previous driver version, which is apparently what you need. So, in HH, I'd try installing the "nvidia-glx" package, just to see what happens.

Comment

Okay dibl,will try that if I am feeling brave (and bored!) and in a 'I need a challenge' mood. you could be right about that. Anyway we will see. I f I do will report back here with the results.

TG 8)

Comment

Working...
                                X