This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Monitor and Display and User Management Still not fixed in Alpha4

AFAIK, "monitor & display" has never worked with a proprietary driver -- it only works if you are running a VESA display, to my knowledge. Once you install a driver, you need to leave "monitor & display" closed -- it will only screw up your display.

@TG, tell me (again, probably) what Nvidia card do you have?

Comment

Nvidia Ge Force 7300 LE (I think) and it is working perfectly under Linux Mint with my Samsung SyncMaster 940 MW and the installed Nvidia driver which Envy has installed. But as I stated Dibl, I firstly go into System Settings, Monitor and Display, Administrator , then hardware, then I choose Genetric, 1400 x 900 LCD. This then sets up the display at these settings 60 htz which are perfect for my Samsung. Then and only then do I download the Nvidia driver and install it.

I think that things must be very different dibl when you have an LCD to when you are using a CRT. I won't be able to get up and running again until such time as the powers that be reinstate the Monitor and Display settings.

TG

Comment

Yes, it is true that LCDs are considerably different, in a number of ways, from CRTs.

My interpretation of what you wrote is "Nvidia driver works great in Mint, not so much with Kubuntu HH". It's hard for me to fathom why that might be, except that I know you can't normally use Monitor & Display to change screen resolution, once you have installed the Nvidia driver -- you have to use nvidia-settings to do that. Is the Nvidia driver installed on your HH system? If so, what happens if you do Alt-F2 "nvidia-settings" -- do you get the utility to set the screen resolution?

Comment

Dibl I tried this in HH. I downloaded the driver, put in what you told me to put in i.e 'sudo nvidia-xconfig' then restart again, and then I can't do anything simply because the whole shibang goes pear shaped, and I have lost the monitor, the pic is just about visible but lines everywhere ( a sync prob or something, my monitor then displays ' not optimum settings, and then after a few seconds or so, blanks out, so I am unable to set anything in the nvidia settings as I can't see/ have enough time to do so.

TG

Comment

You know, if the problem is the refresh rate that nvidia-xconfig is writing in xorg.conf (which it sounds like it might be), I think there might be a way to fix this. I'll list the steps and then you can see if there's anything unclear:

1. Boot Mint, Alt-F2 "kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf", and copy the stanza where your LCD refresh rate appears. Save it where you can get to it from HH, or just print it on paper.

2. Boot HH, with Nvidia driver enabled, and Ctrl-Alt-F1 to the CLI. Stop the X server with
            Code:
            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
            Code:
            sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
            Code:
            sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
            5. Scroll down to the stanza that shows the wrong refresh rate(s), and edit it as per the figures shown in the Mint version of that same stanza.

6. Ctrl-O and Enter, Ctrl-X and Enter

Code:
            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start

and maybe you'll see your GUI login, followed by a decent screen display. If the resolution isn't to your taste, do Alt-F2 "kdesu nvidia-settings" and change it, and "Save to X Configuration File" -- just don't change the refresh rate!

Comment

Hi dibl,
              I disagree, as monitor and display works fine in Gutsy, I have an ATI rx300, and with the fglrx-driver it works fine and does not screw up your display, at least in the 32 bit version.
              Alpha4 monitor and display is still borked, and nothing in it, same for user management, at least for my machine despite all updates so far.
              Hmm "methinks something is rotten in the state of Denmark".
              In desperation I am seriously thinking of trying the Gutsy Kubuntu-desktop as an experiment, but that would probably completely break this Alpha stuff.
              Someone claims it is working in Alpa-what after all the updates, I doubt it.

Cheers
              El Zorro

Originally posted by dibl
              AFAIK, "monitor & display" has never worked with a proprietary driver -- it only works if you are running a VESA display, to my knowledge. Once you install a driver, you need to leave "monitor & display" closed -- it will only screw up your display.

@TG, tell me (again, probably) what Nvidia card do you have?
              It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

My dear dibl, I do admire your tenacity in trying to resolve my monitor problems, but I am resigned to waiting for the Monitor and Display settings to be reinstated into HH. Either that or just put up with a 800 x 600 display! I know that you have said these settings make no difference or can't be used with the nvidia drivers, but I am doing just that in Linux Mint as of now, and for us LCD users, they seem to be a necessity and they do work dibl and always have done as the previous poster testifies.
                Why they have never worked for you, well I can't answer that, we need other CTV users to post here, or maybe in 64bt version

As I also went through this problem (in a way) when we were all testing GG, I know its par for the course, although I do question why they always disable the 'monitor and display' settings in any alpha's ( in GG it wasn't reinstated until the very last minute if my memory serves me correctly) as it then renders a lot of us that could be testing virtually incapable of taking part!

You can't contribute if you can't see anything!

Anyways that's my rant out of the way, so let's leave it for now dibl, and I shall wait for them to reinstate the monitor and display settings, then I shall be back in business! (probably HH launch day! )

TG

Comment

Either that or just put up with a 800 x 600 display! I know that you have said these settings make no difference or can't be used with the nvidia drivers, but I am doing just that in Linux Mint as of now,
                  Hi TG, don't forget two things that you are probably aware of.
                  1) Mint is based on Gutsy, so there is no resemblance with HH.

2)HH is still alpha. Just for testing. In my humble experience, at least with gutsy, the system settings and most of it's "interior" are the last thing to be made to "work", usually just before the last RC. With that reasoning I would have a look at launchpad and see if someone has posted anything related to your issues. If so join the discussion and it will be seen by the "Lords" of Kubuntu.

I like dibles idea of copying the relative stuff over from mint but they will probably just be changed again at the next kernel or xorg update/grade.
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Yes I know Fintan that the Mint KDE is GG which is why the 'Monitor and Settings' are available! I also know that it will be one of the last things to be reinstalled, just that I ponder why when so many of us need it to display correctly? (You must have noticed that I am not the only one complaining about its absence)

I suppose that I can get by on a 800 x600 screen and without the latest nvidia driver, or I can just wait until April till the final comes out, and run either Linux Mint or OpenSuse in the meantime. (Galling as this is )

I really admire you guys, you are always so helpful, but I don't want dibl to spend anymore of his precious time trying to find out why things are so different for us LCD users or my monitor settings problem, when it won't be resolved until HH is finished.

TG Thanks to you all for your usual help ( I will say as well that this forum and you guys are the most helpful I have found in any distro forum yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X