This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless gone

My wireless is gone. KNetwork Manager doesn't even 'see' it. It only shows the wired connection (when I plug it in).

I can't use Kubuntu anymore. It has too many issues.

CONCENTRATE ON TWO THINGS, PLEASE:

1) VIDEO DRIVERS, THERE AREN'T MANY MANUFACTURERS NOWADAYS - NVIDIA, AVI, INTEL.... EXPERIMENT WITH VARIOUS CARDS AND GET A MIN. BOOT IN BASIC BASIC VIDEO MODE

2) WIRELESS - NETWORK MANAGER IS VERY VERY VERY BAD. SOME DISTRO DEVELOPERS HAVE WORKED ON THEIR OWN PROGRAM

If Kubuntu has a different kernel than Ubuntu, then maybe they go off on their own from time to time?

Anyway, wireless is always a PITA but it's a constant problem.

I have wireless when I boot up in Ubuntu without doing anything. I have it in a few other distros, Fedora, Mepis... etc.

I have zd1211-firmware installed to no avail.

I think I'll install Ubuntu 8.10 soon and install the KDE desktop. Bye, bye Kubuntu...

Re: Wireless gone

What would cause wireless settings to be gone?

KNetwork Manager shows wireless is enabled but there is no wireless networks scanned.

In 'Connection Status', Network is greyed out.

'lsusb' doesn't show the wireless adapter. So, is that it? Why would it not be showing up?

Comment

Two things i found worked for me with wireless issues and video cards first when i had issues with kubuntu and also opensuse11 mad wifi fixed my wireless issues http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/

then i had a nvidia card i had issues with and installed something called envy ng
      http://www.albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html#A

this may not help at all but envy also has support for ati cards. fixed both of my issues

Comment

I don't know what happened. I went back to my usb wireless adapter and it has the zd1211b chipset. I believe it used to utilize the zd1211rw driver.

I checked the repositories and the only one that contains anything zd1211 is something that displays source. There is no 'zd1211rw-firmware' or 'zd1211-firmware' installed anywhere that I know of. I went to the Ubuntu hardware (wiki?) page for the zd1211 devices. There's instructions for downloading the driver. I don't remember ever doing that. One site at Debian/sidux says to initate a series of commands. I tried that but it didn't work in Kubuntu 8.04. The weird thing is, when I first installed Kubuntu, it worked out of the box. I don't know how I lost it or what happened.

I checked my /lib/firmware/zd1211 directory and nothing was there. I decided to download the tar.bz file from the zd1211 site. I unpacked the files and copied it into the directory I mention above. But, after that, I don't know what to do. I don't even know if those were the right steps. I haven't had to do that before. Maybe someone who has dealt with the zd1211b chipset can recognize something and suggest something?

I couldn't find any way of initiating the drivers or including the device/wireless connection in my Knetwork Manager settings.

Comment

once it extracted did you chmod +x the app.bin (app for the name of the program)

or did you try sudo ./configure in that directory it may not be installed yet
          once you configure the file (not always needed ) you may need to sudo make install or read the install file if there is one to see how to get it installed . I hope that helps the video card issue may easier to fix. easiest way to open terminal is highlight the folder it extracted to and choose run terminal here

Comment

Working...
          X