This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer not found on network.

My apologies if it's the wrong section for my question, I hesitated between "hardware support" and this one.

I currently have a computer ( called Hyperion) with XP installed that I use to share my dsl connection as well as a printer ( canon pixma IP1500) with my second computer called Pern, on which are installed an XP and kubuntu (hardy Heron since last week) in dualboot.
    The connection sharing works nicely and both XP-pern and Kubuntu-pern have access to the web. Also, XP-pern can use the printer that is installed on Hyperion.

Now my problem is that kubuntu-Pern can't access to the printer since I upgraded the distribution : I remember to have been able to print a test sheet when using Gutsy Guibon.
    I tried to add the printer throught HPLIP toolbox but the printer can't be found on the network. I even check check if CUPS and samba were installed, and it's the case, so now I'm all out of ideas about what to try.

If someone could give me some light and improve my knowledge ...

Re: Printer not found on network.

Originally posted by sylesis
    My apologies if it's the wrong section for my question, I hesitated between "hardware support" and this one.

I currently have a computer ( called Hyperion) with XP installed that I use to share my dsl connection as well as a printer ( canon pixma IP1500) with my second computer called Pern, on which are installed an XP and kubuntu (hardy Heron since last week) in dualboot.
    The connection sharing works nicely and both XP-pern and Kubuntu-pern have access to the web. Also, XP-pern can use the printer that is installed on Hyperion.

Now my problem is that kubuntu-Pern can't access to the printer since I upgraded the distribution : I remember to have been able to print a test sheet when using Gutsy Guibon.
    I tried to add the printer throught HPLIP toolbox but the printer can't be found on the network. I even check check if CUPS and samba were installed, and it's the case, so now I'm all out of ideas about what to try.

If someone could give me some light and improve my knowledge ...

Did you try installing it by typing:
    Code:
    [url]http://localhost:631/[/url]
    in your Internet browser?

I managed to get KDE 4.1 print to my pixma ip5000, even though it is supposedly not found by KDE.

Comment

I tried it, but back then I couldn't find the printer in the list. I've found the drivers now and installed them, but the url of the printer is giving me troubles. The machine on which it's installed is "hyperion" and the share name of the printer is "CanonPIX" if that can help .
      As material I chose "windows printer via samba" and I tried the url "smb://hyperion:631/ipp/CanonPIX" , but that doesn't seem to work.

Comment

If I understand this right - it is the PC that the printer is physically attached to that Kubuntu will not print to?

If so, here are the lines for my printers:

Code:
        	Description: Canon iP4000R
        Printer Driver: Canon iP4000 Foomatic/gutenprint-ijs-simplified.5.0
        Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
        Device URI: usb://Canon/iP4000R
        and:

Code:
        	Description: Lexmark Optra E+
        Printer Driver: Lexmark Optra E+ - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2
        Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
        Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0

Comment

Well, I'll try to sum up better, since my english isn't always at top (I'm french) :

PC 1
          Name : Hyperion
          System : XP
          Devices : _ dsl connection
          _ printer canon pixma IP 1500
          Notes : shares the printer and the connection with PC 2

PC 2
          Name : Pern
          System : XP/kubuntu (hardy heron)
          Note : the printer can be used from the XP partition but not the kubuntu partition. Both partition can use the dsl connection.

After having found the drivers for the ip1500, I used CUPS web interface with http://localhost:631/ but the printer still doesn't work from kubuntu. My guess is that I misconfigured the material section of the config, and the url of the printer on the network, for which I have about no clue about what to put exactly .

Comment

Problem solved : I've put as url for the printer smb://hyperion/CanonPIX , it worked perfectly.
            Thanks for the help .

Comment

Working...
            X