Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard Crash while on dialup connection (reposted in software support)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard Crash while on dialup connection (reposted in software support)

I'm starting this thread on the network forum because the only time it happens is when I'm online.

Compaq Presario F700 AMDTurion X64
    Hardy Heron 64 bit - KDE 3.5.9 (from original CD)
    Atheros Wireless (not working via madwifi per wicd)
    HSF dialup Modem
    Firefox 3.0.1 / Opera 9.50 Beta 2 build 1933
    System - - x86_64. 2.6.24-16 - Generic
    Nvidia driver 169.12 / GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M

I can dialup using Kppp with no problem, but within a couple minutes with a browser open, I am completely locked up. Cannot get to an alternate command prompt screen, cannot do a soft shutdown. The only option I have is to completely power down. I have not had the problem when I use Adept Manager (yet), and have not had this problem as a stand alone unit

Additional notes: Dual Boot system. Vista has not had a problem, but is not used often. Damned Slow Dialup is my only Internet option until such time as I get my wireless working and go to a wireless hotspot. Tried to do repetative dmesg at console in an attempt to 'catch the problem' but I haven't had any luck. Don't see any real problems with what logs I see. Doesn't seem to make a difference what website I go to, and flash doesn't appear to be the cause as I have stayed away from sites using flash for this reason.

I'm really scratching my head on this one!!!

Re: Hard Crash while on dialup connection - complete lockup

As soon as you connect, open a Konsole window and enter
    Code:
    Put this window in the corner where you can keep an eye on it. When the lockup happens, I suspect you will observe that one particular process has the CPU at 100%. That's your bad boy.

Comment

Good idea - - I'll be trying that later tonight. I'm hoping it doesn't freeze before it indicates the culprit.

Comment

I don't think it's actually locked -- it's just one process hogging 100% of the CPU, so nothing else can happen.

Comment

Either way - - It's locked up pretty bad.

Top in Console -

Out of 8 cold crashes, I only saw one time where it indicated 100% CPU. That was with an item called 'events/0'. It was averaging 11% all the time as soon as I fired up Kppp after connection. As of this message, I'm on my Mandriva machine, and it's showing a consistent zero usage for this item.

I can anticipate the lockup with 'top' running, because it quits updating, and then about 2 to 5 seconds later, the mouse pointer stops. By this time, nothing works. Even hourglass load features stop cold.

I have discovered that events/0 and events/1 relate to the dual cores, and in my case, the events/0 seems to be getting overloaded somehow.

UPDATE:

I found a quirk in all this. 'Top' may not be giving me the same results every time. I was attempting to fix this unit, and had Opera open online. Top showed Opera going over 100% with events/0 and events/1 at zero. This notebook locked at 108% which makes me wonder if 'Top' is showing correctly, I'm not overclocking this unit.

EDIT: updated latest madwifi driver on this terminal. Now pointer will move during lockup, but it's not functional otherwise. Also had a 100% on pppd per 'top' - - - -

Comment

I'm running out of ideas at this point.

A suggestion via a slow firefox thread mentioned turning off IPv6 - - didn't work.
            I've done all the updates via adept Manager except Open Office - - No change

I need to find a way to log/diagnose what happens at, or before lockup. Other than that, I'm thinking I need to gather info for a possible bug report.

Comment

UPDATE:

Still trying to figure out what's happening. Cannot seem to get a clue what is going on. I'm wondering if there may be a problem with the winmodem (HSF modem via Dell) or if the madwifi HAL package may have corrupted something. Still scratching my head on this one.

Comment

Re: Hard Crash while on dialup connection - reposting

I have reposted this question/problem over in software support as I see this as being a software issue at this point.

Comment

Working...
                X