Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remix live cd can access network, normal 32bit and 64bit cannot?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remix live cd can access network, normal 32bit and 64bit cannot?

I have an HP Pavilion a6554f tower and am having trouble getting the network to work. I've installed KUbuntu countless times on other machines without a problem but this one has be confused.

Kubuntu 32-bit 4.0 remix booting live cd just works out of the box.
    Kubuntu 32-bit Gutsy (downloading 32-bit Hardy now) cannot access the network even when I set it to static.
    Kubuntu 64-bit Hardy same problem as 32-bit Gutsy. Just can't see the network at all.

I thought it might be a 64-bit vs. 32-bit driver problem but when the 32-bit remix worked for me I really became confused.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Re: Remix live cd can access network, normal 32bit and 64bit cannot?

is this a wireless network?
    and did you check the settings in KNetwork Manager?
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

I have not heard of an authenticated case where the 64-bit architecture was the cause of a networking problem. You are probably safe to discard that concern.

Comment

I'm beginning to think it is something else. I've noticed if I reboot each live cd numerous times each, they all seem to exhibit the same problem. I've also noticed something new. Everyonce in a while the computer will lock up during the boot process just after the Kubunut progress bar starts moving from side to side. Out of curiosity, I disabled the ethernet card in the bios and I have not been able to get the computer to hang on boot since. Then I reenabled the network card and I can sometimes get it to hang. It's happening so early in the boot process that I wonder if it is some memory mapping issue with Kubuntu is trying to use an address range that it shouldn't on this computer. Computers just suck sometimes. ;-) Off to play some more.

Comment

I would think that it is more likely that when it "hangs" on booting the live cd that it is just trying to find the correct drivers for you network card.
          &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

But when it hangs, I mean it really hangs... locked up. I'm not just being impatient. When it hung the first time I let it sit for several minutes before giving up on it.

Comment

there could be a number of reasons... but, it is possible that you have a bad image of the live cd.
              did you download it and burn it yourself?

Comment

Yes, downloaded and burned myself. I'm actually downloading the 64-bit Ubuntu now just to try something different, but... you aren't going to belive what is happening now.

I started doing F6 to get to the boot options and taking off Quiet so I could see what it was getting hung on. Doing that, it hasn't hung nor has the network not worked a single time out of the ten or so times I've booted and tried it. I'm going to need a few beers after this one. LOL Going to try rebooting it a few more times to see what comes of it.

Comment

Ugh! I knew as soon as I told you it hadn't locked up that it would. Rebooted another two times after the last post and it locked up. At least now I have something else to look at. The last thing it showed on the screen was "running /scripts/casper-premount". Whatever the heck that is. Google, here I come. ;-)

I have no idea what this has to do with the network being accessible or not. It shouldn't have anything to do with it. I've been hesitant to install Kubuntu on this machine until the Live CD started working correctly. I'm now thinking I should just install it maybe using the alternate install CD that I've used in the past for other machines. And then deal with whatever issues I come across after getting it installed.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X