This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange wireless problem in Hardy

Hi people, I wanted to try out KDE 4.0 so I downloaded 8.04 Hardy Heron KDE 4.0 Remix, installation went fine, KDE is strange but working. I only have a problem with my wireless network.
    I first tried it without installing any drivers and it worked, it was able to detect my WPA protected network and connect to it, I also had internet access, for two seconds. I loaded www.google.com and then no pages would load after that (Firefox described an "Unknown Error"). Sometimes Google doesn't even finish loading before I am cut off. I get no messages from the network manager saying I have been disconnected and I still have the strength of the network in the systray.

I then installed ndiswrapper, installed the driver from the manufacturer, and loaded the module. Connected to the network and the same thing happened again. Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Re: Strange wireless problem in Hardy

Couple things to try:

1. Can you browse the internet with konqueror, or does it do the same thing?
    2. If you create a new test login account, does it do the same thing?
    3. Do other network services work after firefox stops loading pages (email, chat, ping)?
    4. Have you checked /var/log/syslog for any strange messages?
    Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

Thanks for the reply lykwydchykyn, Konqueror does the exact same thing, I couldn't even get to the Firefox download page with it.
      I haven't tried a new account, but will try that next.
      As for other network services, I use Gmail and haven't installed Thunderbird yet so I don't know about that, I also don't know about chat because I don't use it. I first pinged Google and got no reply, then tried to ping my router and still got no reply.
      I don't see anything strange going on in syslog either.
      It's very strange.

Comment

Any difference in the output of iwconfig when it's connected and not connected?
        Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

Working...
        X