This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Problems

Unable to get knetworkmanager to work, so I'm trying smb4k. I can mount XP shares but am unable to mount shares from Vista and a NAS drive on which I can't see the shares. I saw a thread suggesting using a program WICD. I have not been able to get it to load into the Adept Repository for installation.

Below is my error message:

The share "//Computer Name/Share Name" could not be mounted.
    Read the error message under "Details" to find out more.

Details
    mount error 2 = No such file or directory
    Refer to the mount.cifs"8" manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

This "man page" may as well be written in a foreign language, I don't understand any of it. I hope someone here can give me some plain english explanations as to what I might be doing wrong.

I have been using Linspire for awhile and have not had a situation like this. One of the main problems this is causing is that I am unable to get the collection module in Amarok to see my NAS drive which contains my MP3 files.

I have printers shared from a XP machine so there was no problem getting them installed.

David

Re: Network Problems

First off, knetworkmanager and smb4k do entirely different things. knetworkmanager (and wicd) are for connecting your computer to the LAN. They don't have anything to do with mounting shares.

Assuming you are connected to the LAN, are you able to see anything if you open konqueror and type:
    smb:/
    into the address bar?
    Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

Re: Network Problems

Originally posted by lykwydchykyn
      First off, knetworkmanager and smb4k do entirely different things. knetworkmanager (and wicd) are for connecting your computer to the LAN. They don't have anything to do with mounting shares.

Assuming you are connected to the LAN, are you able to see anything if you open konqueror and type:
      smb:/
      into the address bar?
      Sorry, I'm somewhat challenged when it comes to figuring things out in Linux (need lots of help). Yes, I can see all of and read and write to the shares. Guess I'm not really asking the right question. My problem is I have my MP3 files on a NAS drive and I don't know how to get the Collection section of Amarok to see it. That's why I was trying SMB4K but I can't get it to mount the folder on the NAS drive.

Comment

Working...
      X