X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] No "Available Network Interfaces"

Hi guys, here my problem.
    I'm trying to connect my laptop Toshiba Satellite A300 (with Kubuntu 8.04) to internet.

I've tried to configure my Network Connections, but ... I have no available network interfaces!
    I've checked my file /etc/network/interfaces and I've found out that only "lo" interface is ok (ther are not eth0, eth1... as I expected)

Which could be the problem?

Thanx in advance to all

Re: No "Available Network Interfaces"

Can you post the output from the command:
    lspci

That will show you what model your network interface is and whether or not it is recognized.
    Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

Re: No &quot;Available Network Interfaces&quot;

The output of lspci is:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controlle
      r Hub (rev 03)
      00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express Root
      Port (rev 03)
      00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controll
      er #4 (rev 03)
      00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controll
      er #5 (rev 03)
      00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Control
      ler #2 (rev 03)
      00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
      (rev 03)
      00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (r
      ev 03)
      00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (r
      ev 03)
      00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (r
      ev 03)
      00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controll
      er #1 (rev 03)
      00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controll
      er #2 (rev 03)
      00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controll
      er #3 (rev 03)
      00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Control ler #1 (rev 03)
      00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
      00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
      00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Contro ller (rev 03)
      00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHC I Controller (rev 03)
      00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobilitiy Radeon HD 3400 Series
      01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon HD 34xx Se ries]
      02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wirele ss PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
      03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device 4355 ( rev 12)
      0a:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. Firewire (IEEE 1394) (rev 02)
      0a:01.2 SD Host controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MMC/SD Controller (rev 02)
      0a:01.3 Mass storage controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MS/xD Controller (rev 01)

Comment

Ok, I think problem is:
        "Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device 4355"
        I'v found some suggestions like http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=781022
        I'm gonna try........

Comment

Right, that's your ethernet chip. You also have an Atheros AR242X wireless chip, which needs the madwifi driver. Here's guidance on that, written for an Eee PC, but the procedure should be the same (I have that same Atheros chip in my Eee PC):

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu#wirel...adwifi_drivers

"Wireless Internet using native Madwifi drivers"

However, the new better-working "snapshot" tarball is "madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3698-20080604.tar.gz" from the archive here:

http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special/

Once you have the madwifi driver installed, you'll have to configure the wireless interface. Use this for guidance:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Wifi

and use the "WPA supplicant in roaming mode" configuration,

except you have to change the driver name from "wext" to "madwifi".

Comment

Thank you!!
            But I still have a problem with ethernet...
            So, I've downloaded the driver

Device Type: Network Controller
            Platform: Linux Kernel 2.4.20 and Higher

on Marvell Site
            http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverSearchResults.do

I've tried to install it with

sudo ./install.sh

but it gives a Syntax error: maybe this is not the right way to install, isn't it?

Comment

ok, i solved the last problem and the installation starts.
              But after some steps, the following problem occurs:
              Kernel:2.6.24 != Header:2.6.24.3

So there's a mismatch between kernel and header files!

Comment

My Wireless connection is ok!!! (thank you dibl: following your suggestions it works fine).

But Ethernet is not working yet >. I've read several forums: It seems that drivers downloaded from Marvell website NEVER work.

An other possibility is this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...07#post5224507

but I'd prefer not to change to kernel because I'm not so competent...

May be trying with other drivers...?
                Is there anybody having an idea?

Have a good day!

Comment

Found a solution!!!!!!!!!!
                  Read:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/239852

Comment

Wow -- nice job getting that Marvell controller to work! And I'm glad the wifi guidance helped.

Now, if you can edit the original post and add a "SOLVED" to the title, hopefully other folks with that Marvell ethernet controller can follow your lead.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X