This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade today caused inability to connect to Internet

Networking has been a problem with me on this machine, (dual boot) now logged in with WinXP. The connection would persist often for days at a time and then fail. As I have been doing for months when that happened I would just boot in WinXP and it would establish a new lease or something and then I would go back to my Kubuntu boot and all would be well. Today, after the latest upgrade and after uninstalling the old kernels I can no longer connect to the net with my Hardy Kubuntu. Networking is mysterious stuff to me so if someone could guide me in the right direction to get my networking back I would appreciate it.

Update: Changed subject line to be a bit more accurate

Re: Upgrade today killed network

Originally posted by rbrown3rd
    Networking has been a problem with me on this machine, (dual boot) now logged in with WinXP.[...] Today, after the latest upgrade and after uninstalling the old kernels I can no longer connect to the net with my Hardy Kubuntu.[...]
    "rbrown3rd",

If I've learned anything from my switch to Linux (years back) it is that there is a community of millions that are encountering the same struggles. Among those, there are obviously hundreds (if not thousands) that are willing to help in their own way.

Here's how I would like help you: To arrive at a solution, we must understand the problem. The phrases "no network" and "can't connect" seem to be clear indications that something is wrong. Let's start there.

When booted into Kubuntu, what do you see that tells you the network connection is down? I would presume that you get messages from FireFox or another browser, telling you about a failed connection. Is this true? Have you taken other steps to see what the problem is?

When troubleshooting an Internet connection, it's worthwhile to ask exactly how you are connected: Did your ISP provide you with a 'modem' (cable, DSL or otherwise) and is that connected directly to your PC, OR do you have other networking appliances in-between? (such as a router, hub or switch)

Have you explored the Network Settings panel under System Settings? If so, what does it tell you under "Available Network Interfaces"? (should be the first 'page' and 'tab' you see) Since the problem coincides with a kernel update, it's possible an older kernel mistakenly removed a LAN driver module, or that the newer kernel no longer has embedded support for your hardware. (meaning; support for your LAN card may have to be installed as a module... or by obtaining a new package through Synaptic/Apt-get)

There are a number of possible solutions at this point, but without knowing more about the problem at-hand, it would be futile to list them all here.

Let me know about these things and we'll go from there.

- Douglas
    [hr]<br />System#1: Kubuntu 9.04 AMD64 (KDE 4.2)<br />AMD Athlon64-2x 4600+, 4GB DDR2-PC6400<br />nVidia GeForce 7300 / 512MB<br />System#2: Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE 4.2)<br />AMD Sempron 3300+, 2GB DDR-PC3200<br />

Comment

I
      f I've learned anything from my switch to Linux (years back) it is that there is a community of millions that are encountering the same struggles. Among those, there are obviously hundreds (if not thousands) that are willing to help in their own way.

Here's how I would like help you: To arrive at a solution, we must understand the problem. The phrases "no network" and "can't connect" seem to be clear indications that something is wrong. Let's start there.
      ]Thanks Douglas. I am connected once again via Kubuntu. The help you mention is what keeps drawing me back to Linux.

When booted into Kubuntu, what do you see that tells you the network connection is down? I would presume that you get messages from FireFox or another browser, telling you about a failed connection. Is this true? Have you taken other steps to see what the problem is?
      As you guessed, when I open my browser nothing happens for quite a long time and then an error message pops up that the server cannot be reached. When a connection is made under normal circumstances my home page comes up quickly and the status bar at the bottom of the browser, Firefox, indicates the site is loading.

When troubleshooting an Internet connection, it's worthwhile to ask exactly how you are connected: Did your ISP provide you with a 'modem' (cable, DSL or otherwise) and is that connected directly to your PC, OR do you have other networking appliances in-between? (such as a router, hub or switch)
      I have a Motorola Netopia DSL modem which is connected to a WRT54G Linksys router.

Have you explored the Network Settings panel under System Settings? If so, what does it tell you under "Available Network Interfaces"? (should be the first 'page' and 'tab' you see) Since the problem coincides with a kernel update, it's possible an older kernel mistakenly removed a LAN driver module, or that the newer kernel no longer has embedded support for your hardware. (meaning; support for your LAN card may have to be installed as a module... or by obtaining a new package through Synaptic/Apt-get)

Yes, I have explored the network settings a lot. Back a few releases ago in Gutsy someone helped me and we found that doing a:

Code:
      sudo ifdown eth0
      sudo ifup eth0
      helped on a few occasions.

The problem did become much worse with the update but existed intermittently before. After trying everything I learned that booting into Windows and then back into Kubuntu always solved the problem. In the past and possibly now I often get a connection every time I boot into Kubuntu with no problem but today, after the upgrade it has been much worse than before. However, I booted into WinXP and did some work and then returned to Kubuntu to find a quick connection as revealed by being able to connect and use Firefox as I am now to post this.

There are a number of possible solutions at this point, but without knowing more about the problem at-hand, it would be futile to list them all here.

Let me know about these things and we'll go from there.

- Douglas
      Thank you Douglas. I appreciate it very much. I should add that I have two other machines on this LAN, a laptop and my wife's desktop. Neither of those has ever had any problem and they are both running Hardy. My desktop is a complex hodge podge of a machine that I built. It has served me well as a Windows work horse and does quite well with Linux with this one little odd problem. It is one of the worst kind too as it comes like a phantom and causes mischief and then disappears for a while.

Bob

Comment

I am pleased to report that on boot this morning I got a good solid connection. This is the pattern. It will go for a while with no problem but then one day I will boot and have no connection to the net. I boot into WinXP then immediatly back to Hardy and I have a connection. This machine has been of this behavior since I created the dual boot setup. At least I know the work around.

Comment

Re: Upgrade today caused inability to connect to Internet

So far I have connected every time I boot with all the latest updates in place. I am hopeful that the problem has been resolved with the latest updates. I will monitor it and close this out if the connection remains stable.

Comment

Working...
          X