This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wireless usb

I can not work out how to even start to set this up. I can set it up on the same machine while running puppy 3.01 or mandriva 2008. But the whole set up on kubuntu 8.04 is hidden to me. I can not understand why it is so difficult on this distro, a shame as the rest looks really good.

Re: wireless usb

I'm hard-wired from my desktop to my router, but I can tell you that the set-up of wireless networking has become all-but-automatic in current Ubuntu releases. (I have an old G3 iMac that runs Ubuntu now, connected via a USB dongle)

As it happens, I have an older USB dongle (802.11b only) sitting around. I just now tried plugging that in, and the system responded immediately. Read on...

What I would first want to know is, do you see the 'KNetworkManager' icon in the kicker panel? (taskbar notification area... right next to other 'applets' like Klipper and the Kmix volume control) It looks like a drawing of a USB dongle, viewed at an angle. Hovering on that icon should pop-up a 'tip' that tells you about your current network connection. Regardless of a hard-wired or wireless connection, the KNetworkManager icon should be visible.

(NOTE: In case you removed it, just add the "System Tray" applet to your kicker panel; right-click in any blank area on the bar and select "Add applet to panel...")

Right-clicking on the KNetworkManager icon gives a menu with options for manual configuration. (including picking the SSID of your WLAN, setting WEP or WPK options, and of course IP networking details) I believe the current generation of KNetworkManager should also show the 'strongest' WLAN access points that your USB Adapter can detect at the moment. From what I can tell, the KNetworkManager dialogs are not shared by the System Settings panel, and so must be set using just the right-click menu.

I share your annoyance with the apparent lack of networking controls in Kubuntu, and even Ubuntu overall. The way I see it; I can appreciate that Ubuntu wants to keep the networking secure--seeing as it's the most critical component of running and maintaining Ubuntu--as well as making the configuration accessible at the same time. I'm in agreement that any configuration 'applets' should be reflected in the main System Settings panel. Still, I'm sure it's an ongoing challenge for them.

Please reply with any further questions.

- Douglas
    [hr]<br />System#1: Kubuntu 9.04 AMD64 (KDE 4.2)<br />AMD Athlon64-2x 4600+, 4GB DDR2-PC6400<br />nVidia GeForce 7300 / 512MB<br />System#2: Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE 4.2)<br />AMD Sempron 3300+, 2GB DDR-PC3200<br />

Comment

I have a question: what device are you using? I really don't believe what you're claiming. I've been to the Ubuntu forums which is busier and so many people are having problems with their usb wireless adapters. It doesn't matter which device or chipset. They are saying it's not working. They're even having problems when trying to use ndiswrapper. It would be explainable if it was just a few people as you could say they don't know what they're doing. But, there are so many and some knowledgeable people are trying to help to no avail.

It appears it's happening again - usb wireless adapters are a major problem in Linux. :-(

I wonder if this is the experience with other distros or whether there are any differences based on kernel or whatever.

Comment

Well my experience has changed since my upgrade to Hardy. I used to have a wifi card which was old and needed a seperate script to work. When I upgraded to hardy it disappeared !!! AH!!

However in desperation I nabbed my USB wireless dongle from my daughters pc that I could never even get recognized and when I plugged it in ...hey presto the network manager kicked into action and started working with it straight away.

So my experience of this has been changed from when I upgraded and I needed to use Knetworkmanager with it to get it fully up and running.

Mine was only a cheapie usb that cost maybe £10 ($20) and is actually slightly broken- the stand is broke but works fine
        Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

What magical device do you have?

I couldn't get mine to work and it didn't have any wireless connections show up for me to choose. I think it's all a fairytale that it works.

Comment

Sorry for the delay it was a belkin wireless

Here : http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/615573...K/Product.html

* Product Description: Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter network adapter
            * Device Type: Network adapter
            * Form Factor: External
            * Interface (Bus) Type: Hi-Speed USB
            * Data Link Protocol: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
            * Data Transfer Rate: 54 Mbps
            * Frequency Band: 2.4 GHz
            * Compliant Standards: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
            * System Requirements: Microsoft Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP
            * Manufacturer Warranty: Limited lifetime warranty

Sure it must be available elsewhere and pretty standard...it started the network manager up automatically and searched for the available signals

Hope that helps ...let me know if you need more help
            Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

I have the same device but the version is 4000. What version is yours?

That Belkin adapter comes in various versions and each one has a different chipset.

I think if you type this in a command terminal:
              dmesg | grep 1211
              or
              lsusb | grep 1211

It will let you know if you have the zd1211 chipset.

lsusb | grep rt2x00

...might inform you if you have the one with the Ralink chipset.

There are probably other ways to find out but those above are the methods that come to mind at the moment.

Btw, mine has worked before in Gutsy but it was flaky. I didn't always have any networks to scan for one thing.

Comment

I will do it later today as I am stuck at work and on windows and have not worked out using vnc from here

Comment

andy@andy-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep 1211
                  [ 54.875414] zd1211rw 4-3:1.0: eth1
                  [ 54.875459] usbcore: registered new interface driver zd1211rw
                  [ 79.836593] zd1211rw 4-3:1.0: firmware version 4725
                  [ 79.879004] zd1211rw 4-3:1.0: zd1211b chip 050d:705c v4810 high 00-11-50 AL2230_RF pa0 g--N-

That any help?

Comment

Yes, that helps. Thank you for posting that.

I have the same device then and therefore, the chipset is the same. I finally got wireless working.... in Lenny. I'm somewhat confident that I could get it working in Kubuntu then! I'll try it when I get my new HD so I can fit the OS in! Ha!

I don't know if it was super smooth for you but I needed to unplug my other usb connections. I discovered the oddity from a thread in the Ubuntu forums. Oh well, at least I know that it works in theory and it's just a matter of getting there!

Sorry for my complaints, guys. The next project now is Nvidia drivers. Hopefully, someone is willing to help and has that altruistic personality... lol!

Comment

Cool ...good luck with the nvidia issues

I know nothing about them!

Comment

Hey, I got my Nvidia drivers working in Debian Lenny. I wonder how it would go in Kubuntu!

Just FYI and for anyone contemplating usb wireless adapter dongles, I am able to use wireless with the previously mentioned wireless usb adapter (Belkin F5D7050 version 4000) by only having this device connected in a usb port (nothing else!). Recall that I claimed I could not get it to work before? I had my laser printer plugged in during that time.

I think the initial boot up needs only the usb wireless adapter plugged in for some reason. I don't know if this is true but that is my only theory at the moment.

I aim to give Kubuntu a try. I'll see about having it installed by the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                        X