This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WICD won't see my network!!!

Title says it all, the computer in seriously the next room can/does see and it works perfectly.
    I installed WICD because I had a problem that could be described as similar, it was with K Network Manager, it would see the network once I input it, but it never connected. So I installed WICD and had an issue with startup, but after a package reinstall it works fine.

The real issue is the connection. It won't see the network, or any in the area, whereas on my normal XP computer it might see several at once. I've even gone to my router configuration page and assigned my wireless computer the router's DNS servers.
    I'm using a WEP passphrase network, so it seems unlikely I would need a correct WPA driver. I'm thinking my laptop doesn't have the right wireless drivers?

HP Pavilion ZD7000 : 7020US model.
    I'll add more details if asked for it, but everything should be on this specs page.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-p...-30557633.html

Please help, because I take this laptop places, and can't afford to not have the wireless work, it can't live in my bedroom, right next to my working desktop. >.>

Re: WICD won't see my network!!!

The specs page doesn't tell you what kind of wireless you have. It's an HP, so I think it probably has a broadcom chip device. I don't think the problem is with WICD, I think your wireless needs to have the correct driver installed.

If you run lshw in a terminal, you will be able to find out what kind of wireless you have, and then a forum search will turn up instructions for getting it working.

Comment

Working...
    X