Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

/etc/network/interfaces file: relation to KNetworkManager and ifup/ifdown?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/etc/network/interfaces file: relation to KNetworkManager and ifup/ifdown?

I'm a bit confused about the /etc/network/interfaces file. I know that if I want to use "ifup" and "ifdown", my wifi card (wlan0) must be in that file. What I'm confused about though is that I also read that KNetworkManager will not manage any network cards in the /etc/network/interfaces file. I of course need the functionality of both--managing my network and being able to connect/disconnect.

Also, what program actually writes/updates the /etc/network/interfaces file? Sometimes when I configure my network connection with KNetworkManager it seems like it saves the info in /etc/network/interfaces so I can use ifup/ifdown. But sometimes when I change my connection in KNetworkManager, there is nothing in my interfaces file about my network wlan0.

Would someone please clarify?

Re: /etc/network/interfaces file: relation to KNetworkManager and ifup/ifdown?

Knetworkmanager will not work if devices are listed in the interfaces file. When you select manually configure in Knetworkmanager, it allows you to manually configure the interfaces file, but then you'll need to do ifup and ifdown to connect.

But I don't understand what you mean by managing AND being able to connect and disconnect. You can do all of that from within Knetworkmanager, so I don't see why you need the ifup/down to connect of disconnect. Once Knetworkmanager is running, simply right click on the icon in the taskbar and select the connection you want.

If you want the control of ifup/ifdown, then don't use Knetworkmanager. There are other programs that will work with the interfaces file, or you can use the command line.

Comment

Working...
    X