This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No network in Hardy

Hello, I am new to Linux, so please be patient with me..

I have tried several time to install Hardy Heron and all the times I ended up with no working network.
    Last attempt was a full internet upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04. When I rebooted, to my great disappointment, the network connection was not working any more. I have had no problems at all on the same machine (I use a spare hard drive just for Linux) with Kubuntu version 7.04 and 7.10, in both versions the network worked immediately but in 8.04 there seems to be a problem with the network settings or configuration. I do not know what to do and have very little experience with Linux.. have tried to manually configure the settings but it appears to me as if Hardy cannot be set to automatically configure TCP/IP address, and every time I try and change the settings manually it looks like it reverts to the original ones
    Can you help please? The machine is built on an AMD X2 processor and there were no hardware problems with previous versions. I access the internet via a wired modem router, which incidentally works ok but, with 8.10 connected signals some kind of problem (I can see the internet light becomes red).
    If you need me to post some information or details please let me know what to do to get it as my knowledge is very limited.. thank you

Re: No network in Hardy

Welcome! You've found a great resource - The Kubuntu Forums. There are many members here who are willing and able to provide help. The range of expertise here is as varied as the members themselves.

So you are using a wired connection? How is the router connection to your PC accomplished?

Open a konsole shell and type:
    Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    Copy and paste the output in you reply.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hello and thanks for the welcome!!
      I have just edited the file (but still no working network), as advised to another user in a post here on this section of the forum, so when I do that command now I see:

auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback
      address 127.0.0.1
      netmask 255.0.0.1

auto eth0
      #iface eth0 inet dhcp

sorry i could not copy and paste from the machine as I am currently writing from a different computer, a laptop (Ubuntu 8.04 with installed Kde)
      connected to the same modem router btw.

Comment

I also seem to have found various posts on the internet of people having problems with linux and the realtek 8111/8168, which is the one I have on my motherboard. Shame, as Gutsy was working so well and 8.10 does not make it for me.. I also just notice it hangs when I turn it off, all the times.. and I need to switch it off manually.. maybe I should just format all and install Mepis..

Comment

Let's not assume the problem is with your realteck ethernet controller just yet.

This is what my /etc/network/interfaces file looks like, and I connect with my router, both wired and wirelessly without any problems:
          auto lo
          iface lo inet loopback

auto ath0
          Note that there is a blank line following the last entry. Also note, that while I am connected by wire to the router (I am as I type this), I don't have an eth0 stanza in the file. I'd suggest editing your file (as root) and make it look like this:
          auto lo
          iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
          Save the file and then perform a normal shutdown/restart to reboot your PC. Post back on the results.

Comment

There have indeed been some issues with that ethernet chip:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ek+8111%2F8168

This one appears to have a solution .... maybe:

Good luck with it .. sorry I can't be more helpful.

Comment

Hi Snowhog, I have edited the etc/network/interfaces file as you suggested and the result of

cat /etc/network/interfaces

is now same as yours, but still on reboot no connection, also I noticed that the address of the wired ethernet connection is 0.0.0.0 is that correct? Is the card recognized then? What to do next?

Comment

The wired ethernet addess of 0.0.0.0 would not be correct. You said that you edit the file and it "is now the same as yours,..." If you litterally mean the same, that means you have auto ath0 and not auto eth0 as you should. Is this the case?

Comment

sorry I did not explain myself properly before, I actually have eth0 in mine, not ath0..

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    There have indeed been some issues with that ethernet chip:

This one appears to have a solution .... maybe:

Good luck with it .. sorry I can't be more helpful.
                    hey thanks for the links and for your help

Comment

Just wanted to be sure.

Re-edit the file and change it to:
                      auto lo
                      iface lo inet loopback
                      address 127.0.0.1

auto eth0
                      iface eth0 inet dhcp
                      This is what you posted earlier, with the two changes: removing the netmask entry and uncommenting the iface line.

Comment

thanks for your help so far Snowhog, a couple of things happened that make me stop here for tonight..
                        1) the rest of the family has seized my laptop so I cannot be online and try to fix the other pc at the same time
                        2) after I changed the file as per your last indication, I rebooted (again had to manually switch the PC off as it hangs when shutting down) and it never came back, meaning that after the mobo posts, it wants me to insert a valid disk. So I suppose something else is not right if it can't find the OS now. It might be the disk I am not sure, it happened sometimes that my motherboard can't find the drives or maybe the drive is faulty.. but I will give it another try tomorrow to see if it can be rescued

in the meanwhile I am using a live mepis cd to connect and to write this message and I am wondering one thing, if it was the Realtec ethernet chip the problem, then why would it only happen with Kubuntu 8.10 and not with the previous versions or with other distributions? Should that be the problem, it would always there at least with linux.. am I wrong?

Comment

Working...
                        X