This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

atheros wireless

hy everybody. i just installed Kubuntu 8.04 on my laptop,everythink seems to work fine,except the wireless(atheros AR 5007 EG) I received the message"drivers restricted" and i don't know what is that means. Can anyone help me to make the wireless works?Please,i just love Kubuntu,i wanna keep it.Thanks in advance.

Re: atheros wireless

First off, the drivers are considered proprietary - not open source.

Are they active, and do they work. Betting odds they don't. Didn't in 7.10 but a solution may be available.

Are you connecting with your wireless?

Comment

I can't make it work. So,there is no chance?

Comment

No - - didn't say that.

Iv'e been trying to find the archived writeup for your wireless setup. I have the same onboard setup on a Compaq F700 running 7.10 64 bit.

The provided proprietary drivers your seeing don't work for 90% of the people (if they actually work at all)

There is a way via an application called 'ndiswrapper' and the XP drivers for this chipset. I know it works, but it's a bit tricky. I have another post out there with a problem with this same setup. Works one day, doesn't the next, so your not alone on this one.

Now if anyone else out there can recall where this write up is (and the huge amount of posts thereafter) it would be greatly appreciated. As Irecall, it was 'sticky' in an archive.

Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for the info for you - - I know it's out there (and I need to look at it again myself)

Comment

- - - - Found the thread I was looking for - - - -

Lots of follow up pages too so read through it, get a feel for what's going on and go through the process. I know it works (although I may have screwed up mine) and it seems to for most folks.

Let us know how it goes.

Edit - -
          32 bit HOWTO
          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=792158

64 bit HOWTO (I'm running 64 bit 7.10 on my laptop
          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=512828

Removed first link

Comment

thanks a lot,you are my hero I did it,thanks thanks thanks. Can you tell me,please, how can i make/ fix/setup/optimise/configure ,the fonts?I mean for Firefox Mozilla.What's the best settings to look similar(nearly) like in Windows XP? I appologize for my english,thanks again.

Comment

Not really - - Never really worried about that.

If I can read it, it's OK with me.

Comment

Working...
              X