This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.04 KDE4 and KDE3.5.9 - SAMBA

OK. Since taking my laptop to 8.04 KDE3.5.9, SAMBA now works very poorly. Before a Linux could see it and a Windows could see it by machine name. Now, I have to specify IP address, which isn't always convenient in a DHCP setup. It would also show up in a Windows Domain list of Machines. Now it doesn't What gives? Why would this change. I have the original SMB.CONF file before the upgrade. Did this because it had all of my Hard, Painstaking work at getting it to a working point. Why!!?? Why!!??

On my KDE4 system, I used the same file. At first it worked great, but now does the same thing. Also, KDE4 doesn't even show the share as being shared when file browsing local to the machine, even though I can get to it from another, and, by IP address only. Why!!?? Why!!?

Anyone else having similar issues?

Re: 8.04 KDE4 and KDE3.5.9 - SAMBA

Same issues here, although for me, it's worse. I can't even get it to work with the IP address.

Surely, Samba networking has to be considered a complete disaster in Kubuntu. You can search throughout the Ubuntu universe for assistance and get little, if any, actual help. Over the years, I've wondered why there are no useful how-to's for newbies. The language of networking is arcane and the ability to connect to other systems is as limited today as it was five years ago.

Perhaps someone on the forum can help. Sorry that I can't.

Comment

Surely, Samba networking has to be considered a complete disaster in Kubuntu.
      At this point I'd have to agree. For it to work for me through 3 other upgrades, I wouldn't expect this. For KDE4, yes maybe, but not 3.5.9.

Comment

Yep, worked nicely for me all the way from Dapper, but Hardy killed it and I've not been able to fix it yet.

I can see the shares, but I can't log on to them. I've tried recreating the samba users, but still no luck. I've tried going for a very skeletal smb.conf, still no luck. I've gone through the guides that has worked before from start to end, still not working.

I'm stuck, and I really need to get it working soon.

Comment

Samba is the reason I finally installed Kubuntu on every computer I own, and told all the users to learn it or loose it. I would have everything all set up and working, and next day run updates and upgrade and everything would quit working. I went through this so many times, and fought with the smb.conf file so much I considered myself somewhat of an expert. But it seemed I was wasting hours just maintaining the network. I had to learn all about problems with DNS and host name resolution and permission settings and other stuff I finally just gave up. With every computer running Openssh as both client and server, and each with a static IP on Kubuntu, networking is now very easy.

Comment

Insisting on Kubuntu for all the users I work with simply isn't a practical option. Currently, the network I'd like to have running samba is actually split 50-50 between Windows and Kubuntu, and then the Windows have both Vista and XP running.

As I said, the way this should work is that I should be able to simply see the various clients, exchange files, share printers, etc. etc. etc. Kubuntu users are successfully using Windows printers, but Windows users cannot use Kubuntu printers. And the file sharing is completely screwy.

Half the time, I have people next door to each other sending files by email and Skype instead of across a local network.

We need something much better.

Comment

FYI - Just installed samba and winbindd (via Apt) on my laptop with the latest Hardy Generic Kernel and KDE 3.5.9. Not wanting to spend all day hand messing with /etc/samba/smb.conf I selected GSAMBAD as my front end configuration tool. It took me about an hour, but my printer and file shares are visible/working on our Windows Domain.

Good luck and keep trying

Comment

I'll give that. Thanks! Can't hurt, not working now anyway.

Comment

I just installed Hardy last week. In addition to the Hardy box, on my home network I have a laptop running Gutsy and two Win98 machines. The Win98 guys can see the Kubuntu shares and use the printers on ther Hardy box, but neither of the Kubuntu guys can see any of the shares on the other machines. I had to use a Win98 machine as a bridge to copy files from Gutsy to Hardy!

One exception: I installed xsmbrowser on the Hardy box, and it can see the Win98 shares down to the individual files, but I can't use it to access the files themselves, either to read or to copy them.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I have a feeling it's a permissions issue. If I get ambitious I'll raise the verbosity level on the Samba logging (if I can remember how - did this once before, in Fedora) and see if I can get some clues.

Comment

Working...
                  X