X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting an NFS volume that can have shared write access between users

Hi All,

So I've got a server exporting an NFS volume I mount at /volume, and I want my wife and I to have read/write access to it.

The only way I can think to do so would be to set both our umasks to 002, making all our files group writable, and setting the group sticky bit on the directory. This doesn't seem ideal from a security perspective.

Can anyone recommend a better solution?

Thanks.

Re: Mounting an NFS volume that can have shared write access between users

unfortunately there's no other way to do it.
    the sticky bit on the dir is to prevent you remove each other's files...
    that's what you want, yeah?
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Re: Mounting an NFS volume that can have shared write access between users

You could just make a group that you and your wife are members of and set the umask to 022. This works for me, though I'm still having a problem with the squash command not working (or at least not to my understanding of it): (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3094390.0). My wife's account and mine on the server and on each client are members of the "staff" group and all files there are in the staff group. Nobody else is in the staff group.

I tried using the sticky bit to prevent her from removing my stuff but realized that by default our files were still created as username:usernamegroup and requires manual change. While you could set the default creation group to something else this actually has the benefit of requiring conscious effort to open the file to change (a good thing, IMO, but not for everyone).

But yeah, that's what works for me just fine and maintains user security just fine (though ideally everyone should be using ACLs and something like SElinux, though I just can't be bothered with the way that upgrades work right now...I'd HATE to rebuild the database everytime a release upgrade doesn't go as planned and I've got to reinstall. The tags for SElinux apparently don't come back from backups the same all the time).
      Just a fox, a whisper.

Comment

Working...
      X